Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead bait for ferox

Options
  • 11-07-2014 7:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

I'm heading west for weekend in search of a ferox , it's a fish I always wanted to catch but never tried

With salmon fishing slow at moment I'm going to give it a try

What dead bait can I use ? Small rud, roach , minnow etc

I have never dead baited before for pike so not sure what bait ya actually use , I don't want to show up with some small roach and find out there illegal

Any tips appreciated :) also is a wire trace necessary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

popsy09 wrote: »
    I'm heading west for weekend in search of a ferox , it's a fish I always wanted to catch but never tried

I have never dead baited before for pike so not sure what bait ya actually use , I don't want to show up with some small roach and find out there illegal

Roach are the bait for ferox. Strike quickly when you get a take and be sure to release any ferox you catch. They are scarce and do not spawn every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 IrishDerbyfan

jkchambers wrote: »
    Roach are the bait for ferox. Strike quickly when you get a take and be sure to release any ferox you catch. They are scarce and do not spawn every year.
    Release by all means! But do ferox trout spawn ferox trout or are they brown turned cannibal?

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

I don't see why people would kill a ferox trout just to hang them on a wall for bragging rights id prefer a picture and put him back knowing he might get even bigger

Hopefully I'll have a pic come the end of the week with one as it has been a fish I always wanted to catch

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Go pike fishing instead and trawl a dead bait.
    Reason why I'm saying it is most ferox are caught by pike anglers :D

Release by all means! But do ferox trout spawn ferox trout or are they brown turned cannibal?
    Yes, they do spawn, mainly in the Cong canal. I believe there is an angling ban there at their spawning time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 IrishDerbyfan

Yes, they do spawn, mainly in the Cong canal. I believe there is an angling ban there at their spawning time
    yes, but do they spawn a different species to Brown Trout? Or just end up eating their offspring?

yes, but do they spawn a different species to Brown Trout? Or just end up eating their offspring?
    I believe that they are a genetically different species to brown trout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They are definitely genetically separate to brown trout.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Haven't heard of too many being caught dead baiting, but you never know! Roach is probably best bait in the Corrib. If you have access to a boat I'd suggest trolling a deadbait though, it is quite difficult on the corrib though until you can locate the deep water where they tend to hang out. If you're up the north or south ends of the lake it's not so bad but in the centre there is a lot of shallow water to navigate through. You really need to be in 30ft+ of water although in the summer months they tend to go shallower as they follow the shoals of roach towards shorelines. If you're trolling in ferox water there's no need for a wire trace, you're unlikely to find pike in the same area's.

Don't risk it.
    Always use a wire trace in any water that hold pike in because the day you don't is the day you'll meet the one that got away.

• Advertisement

well due to unforseen circumstances ( friendly phonecall from the farmer wondering why no one was fishing when the river was full of salmon ) it has been put on hold until next weekend

had some right good fishing last night and today had a sea liced 10/11lb fish and a big coloured fish about 13/14lb

lost 2 more and had few small grilse

i will be definitely making the trip up as it is on my to do list awile now

well due to unforseen circumstances ( friendly phonecall from the farmer wondering why no one was fishing when the river was full of salmon ) it has been put on hold until next weekend

had some right good fishing last night and today had a sea liced 10/11lb fish and a big coloured fish about 13/14lb

lost 2 more and had few small grilse

i will be definitely making the trip up as it is on my to do list awile now

Kinda hating you right now. I've only ever hooked a salmon once and lost it.

Right place right time they can be very easy to catch but if they don't want to take they won't simple as that , it's why I love it so much

Come down to cork I'll gladly take ya out for a days fishing in August / September I'd be fairly confident of meeting a fish

I'd nearly pay for someone t put me in front of a salmon

I'd nearly pay for someone t put me in front of a salmon

im on 12 now :) kept 4 fish one was deeply hooked other 3 went to friends returned 8 of em so not bad so far but it really only gets good from now

come down to cork id be very very surprised if ya didnt at least hook a fish if ya put in the effort

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Im just back from Corrib, fly fishing was interesting Murroughs and Ceanis doing the damage, as well as Grasshoppers and Daddys during the day. Dont use a trace on Corrib, I have trolled it for more days than I care to remember and caught one pike and dozens of trout. Troll a roach or a rudd 15ft down 80m back. There are a couple of mounts on the market now, I prefer the savage gear lip sculls right now but have had fish to 11lb using the AllCock mounts. Had no fish this trip trolling weather wasnt right, weather plays a factor trolling more so than people believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

Cong river. And no troot angling there in September.
    Ferox are very rare and anybody who kills one for a glass case is a gob****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Don't risk it.
    Always use a wire trace in any water that hold pike in because the day you don't is the day you'll meet the one that got away.

100% agree.

Have hooked some very big trout on Lough Derg when trolling for pike, and even if the big trout had been my intended target I would never troll in any Irish lake without a trace.

Advertisement