Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia Lumia Phones

Options
  • 10-07-2014 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi, can anybody give me info regarding these phones.....When I look up reviews they seem good but when I ask in shops about them, I'm told to stay away!!! So what do I believe??? Would love to get honest opinions from people who may have them already.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I've used the Lumia 820, 925 and now the 1520. They are great phones and the latest ones have really nice cameras.

The low end phones, 520 and 630 maintain their performance well and don't give the sane underpowered and slow feeling that you get with low end Androids.

The only downside with them is the app situation. I'm not talking about the biggies, but its the little ones that cause an issue, there's no hailo app, and similar local apps are missing such as the banking.

The mobile browser is pretty good. All in all a great range of phones, just going to take a bit more effort to convince devs to stop ignoring the 10%.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭zsha

Thanks so much for your reply. What do you mean by getting devs to stop ignoring the 10%??? Sorry a bit slow this morn 😊
    Can I ask what are the newest models of these?? We were in a shop last night and they'd no interest in telling us about the phones?
    The app situation I wouldn't mind so much, I presume you can get main apps like viber messanger etc etc, but is it harder app store to use?
    Sorry for all the questions

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bazmc35

If you want a lumia 925 I'm selling an unlocked one, only a couple of months old, reason for sale is I changed back to an iphone

Thanks but I'm actually due an upgrade but I could ask my husband if he interested in it, how much you looking for ??
    How did u find the phone, obviously not as good as iphone but other than that??

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭_Puma_

The 920 and 925 are great bang for your buck and are fully featured. There is a newer Lumia 930 coming out, but it will probably bring little more to the table as the 920 and 925 were ahead of their time. They seem to be harder to get at the moment as I suspect they are been discontinued to make way for the 930. I also suspect the margins are a lot lower in shops for them because the demand is much lower for them compared to the Galaxy and iPhone ranges. Having owned an Iphone 3g and Galaxy S3 phones before, in my opinion the Lumia 920 is a better phone and I got it for €200 on offer from Tesco mobile. Nokia just know how to build great phones.

I think the 10% comment is that Windows phone have 10% of the Market share so Devs tend to release apps later on Windows phone than ios or android if at all some times. Most the big ones are there and also some excellent ones from Nokia themselves for the camera and such.

• Advertisement

Thanks so much for all the info, I am def considering going with one of these phones. I also see there is a 1020 phone do any of you know that phone or is that particular one an old one and the ones mentioned above are newer?
    Again thanks, it's great to hear from ppl who actually use them

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

Can only speak from my own experience and have to say the 620 and the 925 have both been excellent!

Really like them and easy to use.

PLUS great camera's on the higher end models.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭samantha fortune

Lumia 1320 is a great phone has a 6" screen and runs pretty sweet too.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bazmc35

zsha wrote: »
    Thanks but I'm actually due an upgrade but I could ask my husband if he interested in it, how much you looking for ??
    How did u find the phone, obviously not as good as iphone but other than that??

€230, to be honest I didn't really like the phone but think it a matter of taste, I change from an iPhone 4s to the Lumia and I changed back to a iphone 5, more money than sense to be honest and now I'm trying to sell to Lumia as it's gathering dust. Camera and build quality is great.

Thanks for that but think I'll just stick with upgrade as seem to be getting them for free on it.
    I don't have an iPhone, changing from an old Sony phone so wouldnt have exp with high tech phones!!! So just want make sure before I enter into contracts. So it's great to be getting advice on this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Stiletto72

I have a personal Lumia 920 for close on a year now and it's been great.
    I've also deployed over 50 Lumia 625, 630 and 925 models to people in work and have had no problems at all. Stark contrast to the various Android phones I've deployed which have given a lot more trouble proportionately.

Wow these phones seem to be getting great reviews from everyone. It's such a pity the shop people literally laugh when you ask about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

jacksie66 wrote: »
    And don't get me started on trying to make playlists on it. A load of bollix.

I create playlists in Windows Media Player on my PC. The drag and drop it on the phone in the left side panel and it works every time. I have 20 or so on there. What method do you use that is causing you grief?

Wow these phones seem to be getting great reviews from everyone. It's such a pity the shop people literally laugh when you ask about them.

Funnily enough whenever I'm on to technical support with my operator(Vodafone) the guys there always say they are fantastic phones when they ask my handset(Its usually telecom issues i'm sorting out with them on their side). A lot of the small high street phone shops wouldn't stock Lumia's and usually stay with iPhones/Galaxys as they make bigger margins on them. I'd recommend going to the bigger, longer established phone shops who deal with business customers as they would deal in a wider range.

I've yet to read a negative review of the 920 compared to an iPhone or similarly specced phone.

Is the 920 the newest model and the min?

Is the 920 the newest model and the min?

The 925 replaced the 920 and the 930 is being released this month. There are others though. have a look on www.nokia.ie

Thanks had look st that site but couldn't actually see what was new and what was old, granted it was on my phone I looked so will check out the site on laptop later

No its been out since late 2012 but it was far ahead of its time feature wise. Its probably lacking a bit of horsepower now compared to the newer quadcore handsets but in fairness the windows OS dosent really tax it so it dosent require the extra power. The new update to the OS (Windows phone 8.1)will be applied in August sometime so it is still being supported by Nokia/Microsoft. Featurewise id actually say it is ahead of some of the newer phones with QI/NFC, pureview gorilla glass etc..(Still cant beleive QI is not standard in new handsets) Have a look at reviews to see if there is anything that you might not like about it, the weight being one notable downside but personally id prefer a more solid phone in my hand compared to say the S3.

The 925 was an update to the 920 but it dropped QI built in so you need to get a special cover for it. They changed the build quality too and I actually think it is a bit of a downgrade. The 925 is a bit a head scratcher for me but is still a great phone. The 930 will be out soon but its a bit up in the air with how it will fair with a lot of carriers not stocking it. The bigger 1020 is an upgrade again but is quiet a bit more expensive but has a fantastic camera(Saying that the quality of all nokia cameras lenses being a much higher quality to their rivals. Some of the snaps on my 920 are excellent, far better than my iPhone or galaxy snaps).

There was some great 920 bargins going around christmas, I was able to pick the 32GB unlocked version off tesco mobile UK for €200 new(It is £199 now). Havent seen anything as good since on any phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭Xterminator

i have just snapped up a lumia 625 for 99€. it compares very favourably to an iphone 4s which will cost a great deal more. You just get more phone for the price you pay.

speed wise it feels like a more expensive phone its very smooth and there is no lag. The camera is decent, as it the option to pop in an sd card.

My wife is a bit of a technophobe, and she can use the windows tiles pretty well. so i suspect for anyone who is 'afraid' of a smartphone it might be a very good phone for them.

X

• Advertisement

Sounds like a good deal for that.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

i have just snapped up a lumia 625 for 99€........X

I have one of dem lads too.
    What on earth got into Nokia to put the button that turns it off where they put it ?
    Perhaps I'm not supposed to hold the thing when on a call ?

As for WP 8.0, my 4 year old gingerbread android puts it to shame.

Andthatsanotherthing, dont get me started on the apps ( or lack there of )

Based on the experience, I now understand why Nokia failed. MS need to either pull their socks up or cut and run

• Registered Users Posts: 40 JamesTC

0lddog wrote: »
    I have one of dem lads too.
    What on earth got into Nokia to put the button that turns it off where they put it ?
    Perhaps I'm not supposed to hold the thing when on a call ?

As for WP 8.0, my 4 year old gingerbread android puts it to shame.

Andthatsanotherthing, dont get me started on the apps ( or lack there of )

Based on the experience, I now understand why Nokia failed. MS need to either pull their socks up or cut and run

Never used the 625 but as far as know the buttons are in the same place on all Lumia devices and I never had an issue with it (Have had 5 Lumias) I put my thumb in the rather large gap between the power button and the camera button and my fingers on the side of the phone with no buttons (right handed) but even holding the phone left handed allows you to have 3 fingers on the button side without pressing any of them.

Its different strokes for different folks though, I had a Nexus 5 running the latest version of KitKat and felt my Lumia 1020 on 8.1 preview was far superior, sold the Nexus and kept the Lumia.

The app situation can be a deal breaker for some, I am ok with what apps I have (I even have a Banking app here in Canada) but for others I can see why it is an issue with Android and iOS having more apps and always being the first to get new ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,734 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

To be fair the power button placement being an issue dependent on how you hold the phone and the size of it.

On the 1320 I've accidentally rebooted it a few times when on a call (I'm also left-handed)

Thanks everybody going look at some phones today, hopefully shop will have lumias now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

I've been using a Nokia Lumia 920 since it came out and it still runs like the day I first got it. In fact the phone runs so well I'm not that bother about upgrading it to the latest model. It does everything I need it to and it does it very well.

If you like modding your phone an Android phone would be better. If you want a phone that will work and not give you any hassle a Lumia would be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I love things about my n Lumia speed etc. But there's things I dislike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

My son has the nokia lumia 610, 3 times in 6 months it has gone in for repair with it not charging ,usb connection on mother comes loose,
    but saying that i didn't buy it new but because it has a 2 year guarantee it is fixed free of charge, no receipt needed.
    But my son wants to go back to android rather then windows because of certain apps.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

If your due an upgrade now, there is the 930 due this month. Its a brand new model and should be on o2, Vodafone and Meteor.

The phone is like the 1520 on the inside but with a slightly smaller screen, so will be easier to hold.

• Advertisement

Thanks everybody for all comments, the lad in the shop actually had a Lumia phone but was telling me the phone keeps picking up the meteor network settings, as I'm emobile I'd have to keep changing the settings reg.....so that turned me off, I went with Sony z1 compact, it's also dust and water proof which is an extra added bonus. So thanks again

Advertisement