Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to become a Translator

Options
  • 10-07-2014 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all,
    I would love to work as a translator. I'm a natural French speaker and English is my second language. Id like to have a career as a translator but I don't have a clue how this happens in Ireland. Can someone help me please! What colleges offer such courses? Are there other alternative routes? etc etc......

Thanks in advance,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

Salut. I'd say the best thing you could do is study Translation in College. The most well renowned course for this is DCU- SALIS (Applied Language and Translation). However you would be working from French, Spanish, German, Irish, Japanese into English. Generally, as a translator, you are always translating into your native language. In your case, it would be English into French. However, if you have been living in Ireland for a long time, you could argue that you're bilingual and can translate competently into English. (For example, I'm moving to France in September and my birth certificate was translated into French by a British man who has lived more than 30 years in France.)

However, Translation is a very competitive field and you really need to be the best of the best. Also, a lot of it is self employed so you need to find your own jobs. I would try using doing practice translations using Rosetta Foundation's website.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Seanf999

A translation course or study a particular language at college and then a translation course.
    You could qualify as Bilingual as the other post said.
    Also I entirely agree that translator is a hard business a friend of mine is one of the best translators around he's Iranian living in Denmark and he speaks German, Russian, Spanish, Italian, French, Danish, Persian, Turkish and English fluently, he is also nearly fluent in Flemish, Lithuanian and he's currently learning Japanese for fun!
    Then again this guy lives in Denmark, and makes his entire livelyhood of his multi-lingual talents...

Advertisement