Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord hired painters to paint whole house and only gave an evening's notice

Options
  • 10-07-2014 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭

I was completely preoccupied with some personal issues at the time but it left me unable to find another place to crash for the time they were working on the place and I had race back that evening to clear my room for the duration of the stay. Today's their last day as far as I am aware but it was a big job so it could have another day or two.

Can't seem to find out whether there are any legal guidelines for this kind of thing, does the fact I didn't immediately object mean I can't do anything about it? I'm not even sure what I'd want to do about it but it was a huge nuisance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

12 hours notice was taking the pee a bit, 'reasonable' notice should have been given.
    Having said that, its not that big a deal is it? There was no reason to crash elsewhere, a little inconvenient sure, but you have a fresh, newly painted home within a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

He should of course have given you more notice. However, on the flip side, you've got a home that's now freshly painted throughout. I'd imagine there would be plenty of LLs who wouldn't bother their barney doing this for a sitting tenant (and instead, do so during periods of vacancy) - so can't be all bad?

Even if he had given you more notice, its never fun having those guys in. It doesn't make it right but perhaps he had difficulty in getting them lined up for the job (they may have been giving him a slot now rather than anytime soon...or there was some other opportunity in whatever deal he struck with them in doing it asap)? Like I say, not justifying it - but perhaps there's some form of rationale behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

What sort of rental arrangement do you have ~ shared house, rent a room or ??? How did the painters get access to paint?

Did the landlord give any reason for the sudden impulse to paint? Any chance they are looking to sell in the near future?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

SuperS54 wrote: »

Did the landlord give any reason for the sudden impulse to paint? Any chance they are looking to sell in the near future?

Nail on the head, landlords don't paint houses with sitting tenants unless they are planning on selling it or moving in themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Just renting a room in there. They popped by and were pretty apologetic about it, the two of them thought the other told me earlier, gave me a bit of reduction in next month's rent too so it panned out alright.

They've advertised the spare room online and have had some people in to view it since, so I assume I'll be alright for as long I need the place anyway... hopefully anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Just renting a room in there. They popped by and were pretty apologetic about it, the two of them thought the other told me earlier, gave me a bit of reduction in next month's rent too so it panned out alright.

They've advertised the spare room online and have had some people in to view it since, so I assume I'll be alright for as long I need the place anyway... hopefully anyway.

By the sounds of it, you've landed with a good one. It would be quite rare for someone to expend any resources on painting in the middle of a rental - be that 'rent a room' or a proper let.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Look at it this way op, you wouldn't move out of your house if you owned it because tis getting painted. While the notice is cat, it's something I wouldn't be too pissed off about in the log run. Seems like a good landlord to have

Advertisement