Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginners bench - Please choose A or B

Options
  • 10-07-2014 4:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭

OK so for a beginner to weight training, which of these would you recommend for a home workout?

let's see the home workout was just for starting strength with squats/bench press/military press and some leg work

These both come with weights that are on the light side but ok for a beginner perhaps and of course as you get stronger you can of course add some.

So what do you think? A or B, I'm sure there are better ways to do things and neither of these are perfect but if the choice did boil down to these two then which would it be and why???

A)
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1573206.htm

B)
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1662959.htm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

If I was choosing one of these benches I would chose the Maximusle

1573206_R_Z001A_UC1519634?$TMB$&wid=312&hei=312

Cause black is cool :)

Seriously though. I would pick it because it has wider demensions and can carry a heavier user

width 152 - 119

User weight 19stone - 15 stone

When I was starting off with a smaller bench, one thing that really annoyed me was how narrow the uprights were ( and I'm slim )

BUT it costs twice the price of the other one.

Prob still go with the maximuscle bench

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Wood

This one, all of the stuff in argos is utter $hite

http://www.irish-lifting.com/mega-bench-pe-176.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

That's not what the question was ?

The bench you say buy cost almost 300 euro before you add on the preacher curl ( 55) or the leg raise ( 45) . Then they'd have to buy weights. The op said that this is a starter bench. €400+ is a lot for someone who may not stick it out, which a lot of home gym buyers don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neil_

You've probably considered this already, but if it's at all possible I would just join a commercial gym near you. You will get access to far better equipment for a lot less money. The argos fitness stuff looks cheap but it's a false economy; if you stick with lifting you'll outgrow it, and if you don't stick with it it was a waste of money anyway :) If you are an adult man of average build you'll probably be able to bench somewhere between 50 and 70kg straight away, so you will already need to spend more money for more weights than are included in those sets.

That stuff is literally designed for people who will lift for a while, get fed up of it, and throw it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

That's not what the question was ?

The bench you say buy cost almost 300 euro before you add on the preacher curl ( 55) or the leg raise ( 45) . Then they'd have to buy weights. The op said that this is a starter bench. €400+ is a lot for someone who may not stick it out, which a lot of home gym buyers don't.

The bench Wood linked to is a much better investment for two reasons:

1. If, as you say, the OP gives up after a while, he/she can sell the Irish Lifting one second-hand. There's a market for them. There is zero market for second-hand Argos benches. Zero.
    2. If the OP sticks with benching, he/she will soon outgrow the Argos bench. He/She will need to buy the Irish Lifting one then at some stage. And the Argos one will have to be sold. Again, no market for second-hand Argos benches, and will have spent money on two benches, instead of one.

In both of the above scenarios, the OP saves money by buying the better quality bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Wailin

Frogdog wrote: »
    In both of the above scenarios, the OP saves money by buying the better quality bench.

Maybe the OP doesn't have €300 to spend on a bench and is looking for something on a budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 F7Z

google "how build bench" watch a video go to woodies spend your 60 squid and be proud of your glorious creation

Advertisement