Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

building a glass house

Options
  • 10-07-2014 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

hi all building my ow glass house any oe got ay tips please. plus was wonderig what size ad type of glass to use in the roof . thanks for all your help this is a great thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

rossit wrote: »
    hi all building my ow glass house any oe got ay tips please. plus was wonderig what size ad type of glass to use in the roof . thanks for all your help this is a great thread

Good position lots f light.
    I would use perspex on the roof and the sides..
    What do you plan on putting in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭rossit

why use perspecx ,thanks for your help . there will be tomatoes peppers etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

Not perspex, polycarbonate. Some people choose it over glass as it is durable and safe when there are children around. kicking balls etc.

any idea on the price of it please thanks for your help

Depends on the size and frankly the quality of greenhouse. So start with the size of your wallet and go from there.
    This is the budget one I got last year and it's doing great. Be mindful that polycarbonate houses are quite light so they need a spot well sheltered from the wind...

http://www.waltongardenproducts.ie/waltons-extra-tall-polycarbonate-greenhouses

Unless you are restricted for space, 8 x 6 is a minimum size to go for.

Use the 'Search this forum' field on the Gardening home page to see plenty of past discussions on greenhouses.

• Advertisement

i have the frame made up ad am just wondering what is best to put i the frame.i cant spend alot on it . i have some glass house glass sourced at a good price .now im looking at the roof

Any photos? Did you build it out of timber?

yeah building it out of timber no photos yet

Consider using polytunnel plastic. Relatively cheap and very flexible option for you. But don't even think about using regular plastic. Will degrade in no time at all, no matter how thick, and break you heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Esho

I built mine using corrugated perspex on a wooden frame a few months ago. It was balancing durability with cost. I got the 600 x 1800

• Advertisement

I built mine using corrugated perspex on a wooden frame a few months ago. It was balancing durability with cost. I got the 600 x 1800 sheets from godwins online, best price I found.

I built mine using corrugated perspex on a wooden frame a few months ago. It was balancing durability with cost. I got the 600 x 1800 sheets from godwins online, best price I found.

Advertisement