Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Ban on Caffeinated Alcoholic drinks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

In Ireland i'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

That reads like it's a ban on pre-mixed caffeinated alcoholic beverages being sold on shop shelves, as opposed to made to order drinks in a bar/restaurant. If that is actually the case, then Irish coffee should be completely unaffected.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

From what I can see, this only affects manufacturers. Unless you are manufacturing a pre-mixed 'Irish coffee' drink you should not be affected.

To be honest, I'm not sure if a pre-mix drink would be subject to this. For a start it relates specifically to four manufacturers. Also, it is specific in that it relates to drinks where caffeine is added as an individual ingredient. With Irish coffee - the coffee (which contains caffeine) is an ingredient. Semantics maybe...

So, no - Irish coffee would not be affected by this ruling.

Edit: here you go...
    RTFM wrote:
    Does this action apply to coffee-based liqueurs?
    No. These Warning Letters are not directed at alcoholic beverages that only contain caffeine as a natural constituent of one or more of their ingredients, such as a coffee flavoring. The alcoholic beverages that are the subject of FDA's Warning Letters are malt beverages to which the manufacturer has directly added caffeine as a separate ingredient.

OP - Did you even read the article?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,429 ✭✭✭✭cson

Hence FourLoko disappearing from the market over there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourloko

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It was pretty much brought in because of 4Loco, really!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,172 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

No buckfast for them so! Poor bastards.

Advertisement