Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any refund entitlement on used car purchase?

Options
  • 10-07-2014 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

Hi,

At what point if at all can you ask for a refund on a used car that has given trouble since day one and has gone back for repair and still is not running correct.

At this point I have to be vague as its an ongoing problem that my friend is having with a car he purchased from a dealer in Dublin for €8500.

He has no confidence in the car but thinks that its awkward/impossible getting a refund?

At this stage personally I would be asking for a full refund or at least another car if they have something in a simular spec!

The dealer has given use of replacment car whilst the other car is being looked at however its a 6 hour round trip each time it goes back in.

Any advice guys?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Its not impossible to get a refund but the dealer has to be allowed attempts to rectify the issues before it comes to that. If the car has been back with the dealer on multiple occasions for the same issue then he can start looking for his money back. If its an ongoing issue then it might be easier in the long run to have a chat with a solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 sammles

We recently had this problem, We bought a car from a dealer, A warning light kept appearring, I took it to my local mechanic, who found alist of things wrong with the car, the things wrong 90% would have been picked up during the full service the dealer had claimed happened.

I contacted consumer help, I was instructed by them that as the car sold to me was not of merchantable quality we would have a case, but because we paid 8250 plus my car we would have to get a solicitor on the case. We were told that the legislation states that the delear just has to repair the problem, but that a repair should be permenant and that the same issue should not be continually rising. We allowed the dealer to repair everything that needed doing and made him put it through an nct (due in end of the month). As it stands we have had no further issues, but only got the car back on Friday and it is going to my mechanic to have all the repairs checked.

If this is an ongoing issue, the repair is not permenant and I would be seeking legal advice, if the car was purchased for under €5000 I think you can go through the small claims court, but dependent on the dealer a solicitors letter might be enough to get them to refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Small claims court limit is only €2000.

Advertisement