Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding Dress Shopping - New York

Options
  • 10-07-2014 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hello,

I'm heading over to New York later this month and considering taking a look in one or two bridal shops. It wouldn't be to order and collect later in the year but more off the rail if possible.

Has anyone purchased their dress from NY and any shop recommendations?

Did you save any money in doing so?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Hey, I was over there sourcing BM dresses a few months back so can't comment on wedding dresses. I went to RK Bridal - once on a Saturday and it was mobbed, and again on a Monday morning and it was grand then, so bear that in mind if you want to go there. You may need an appointment for wedding dresses, I didnt for BM dresses. It's a large shop.

I also went to Macy's and needed an appointment there. I wasn't mad keen on the place, but due to having the appointment I had a consultant and so maybe felt more under pressure to buy!

The dresses I got were from bridesmaids.com - I went to their studio. Obv not much use to you, but if you need to get BM dresses they were legit and cost the least. Versus buying here I saved lots upfront. Adding in customs added 150 quid and alterations needed to be done (about 125 in total). I'm not sure if I saved a whole lot on that front in total, but buying one dress for yourself is gonna be a different experience in terms of exact fit etc. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

Don't forget you may need to pay customs on your dress if you bring it through the airport. Unless you're happy to squish it into a suitcase then you'll be walking through with a suit carrier and will probably get stopped...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

There's an easy way to get around that... take the tags off (store them safely or post them back if you want to keep them) and tell them you got married there and are bringing it back home...

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

still doesn't wash...you'd definitely have to pay customs if you did say that. For cars they have to be over 6 months to escape VAT so I'm not sure of the period for clothes but there is one...taking tags off doesn't matter either as they'll ask for proof of purchase for something expensive like a wedding dress....tread careful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

still doesn't wash...you'd definitely have to pay customs if you did say that. For cars they have to be over 6 months to escape VAT so I'm not sure of the period for clothes but there is one...taking tags off doesn't matter either as they'll ask for proof of purchase for something expensive like a wedding dress....tread careful

I wouldn't reckon so... why would you have proof of purchase of your wedding dress on you if you've 'already' got married? Most people get away with suitcase fulls of clothes that they've bought and taken the tags off... worth a try with the wedding dress. But anyways, that's not what the OP was asking. Good luck with your search OP.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

January wrote: »
    I wouldn't reckon so... why would you have proof of purchase of your wedding dress on you if you've 'already' got married? Most people get away with suitcase fulls of clothes that they've bought and taken the tags off... worth a try with the wedding dress. But anyways, that's not what the OP was asking. Good luck with your search OP.

My cousin did that with her wedding dress, but when she was bringing it through she said it was her sister's who had gotten married in NY and they were bringing the gear home for her while she headed off on her honeymoon. They never questioned it and let her straight through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Why not just post the dress back, and mark it as a gift?

Advertisement