Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New world broadband speed record of 10Gbps over copper achieved

Options
  • 09-07-2014 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/37582-new-world-broadband-speed/
    When it becomes commercially available in 2015, G.fast will use a frequency range for data transmission of 106 MHz, giving broadband speeds up to 500 Mbps over a distance of 100 meters.

Anyone in the know has this any future for increased speeds over copper?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Techspert

The Bell Labs researchers stated that they used a 500Mhz BANDWIDTH for transporting the signal, instead of the 106Mhz normally used, (vDSL uses 106Mhz), this allowed them to transmit 10Gbps one way at 70 Metres or 1Gbps two way at 30 metres. All this means is that if you get 1Gig fibre to your front gate you can use the copper pair to bring the 1Gbps the remaining very short distance into the new router in your house. It wouldn't even reach from a cabinet 300Metres away, there would be almost zero signal at the distance. It will save telcos having to run fibre optic cable all the way to the router inside a house, they can just run it to your gate.
    Copper pair is incredibly inefficient at transporting any more than 2Mhz bandwidth over a few kilometres, which is the reason so many people end up with only 1 or 2 meg broadband ADSL speeds when they are more than 4 or five kilometres from the exchange.
    vDSL loss is even worse at distance than ADSL, because it uses a larger bandwidth over copper pair and, as I said, high bandwidth and copper pair just don't mix.
    I think that standard ADSL 2 uses a 12 Megahertz bandwidth.

The wider the bandwidth the shorter the distance it travels, it's inversely proportional.

I hope this helps, but this is only my understanding of it, it may not be 100% accurate, it's not my field.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Distance is only 30m to max 70m at much lower speed. Assuming no noise or crosstalk. Also with overhead wires a severe risk of Radio interference on everything from 1MHz to over Band II FM into Air Band VDSL can't be used, VDSL is only for ducts. This even more so as it would wipe out Marine VHF, PMR, DAB and some TV if used on overhead wires.

So only any real use inside an apartment block (that has fibre to each floor) or if you can see the fibre cabinet in the street from your window and the copper is in a duct. If the copper is in a duct from your house to a street cabinet then in most cases trivial to use that to pull in a fibre.

So this isn't going to help anyone that can't already get 200Mbps VDSL from a fibre cabinet.

Advertisement