Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much topsoil?

Options
  • 09-07-2014 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    I've an area of about 35ft by 15ft where I've cobble lock in my back yard, assuming I need a depth of 4-5 inches how much topsoil will I need?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

20 cubic yards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

What would that be weigh wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

9 to 12 ton bag on average. but there are so many variables to take into account

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Ask the supplier, I'm useless at figuring out quantities, I always ask and they always give me the correct amount. I can recommend cabinteely landscape providers (no connection bar being a customer)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Guttervac

9/10 tonne would be about right at 5 in depth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭rje66

As others have said about 10ish tonnes will be needed. But don't buy in bags as it will cost a fortune. Try to find a bulk supplier and get it delivered loose.
    Keep the €€€€€ in yer pocket.
    Ps cabinteely patio centre is prob one of the more expensive places about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭rje66

As others have said about 10ish tonnes will be needed. But don't buy in bags as it will cost a fortune. Try to find a bulk supplier and get it delivered loose.

Thanks all, I'm not in Dublin so won't be using cabinteely patio centre either way.
    I was getting estimates between 5 and 15 tons! There's a fella local to me delivering 10ton loads for €200 unscreened might go with a load of that .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is this for under the cobble lock? with unscreened, you could end up with a load of stones or other detritus in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

I thought top soil especially screened topsoil was a fairly precious material for plants to grow in, not to go under cobble lock or indeed over cobble lock.

Unbound granular material is used for under cobble and it acts like a carpet underlay but allows some drainage and stops the cobble settling at different heights all over the place and getting ruts in it. Gravel and sand even, rather than topsoil.
    http://www.pavingexpert.com/subbase.htm

• Advertisement

Sorry I wasn't that clear, I'm taking up the cobble lock and putting down grass

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

rje66 wrote: »

I would recommend buying by the truck too,Monday I was at a job where the guy paid 50e for a ton sand in the bag I get it for 10 out of the quarry

Finnt wrote: »
    Sorry I wasn't that clear, I'm taking up the cobble lock and putting down grass
    you almost certainly don't want unscreened so. can you view the soil before you buy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

you almost certainly don't want unscreened so. can you view the soil before you buy it?

deffinatly go and see it first , its too late when its on the ground in ur garden,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

An awful lot of rubbish for sale out there. Have a google round and get used to what 'sub-soil' looks like. You certainly don't want that in the mix making up the weight. Don't let them start tipping before you have a look :)

Thanks for all the replies, it's on hold for now I took up some of the cobbles last night and there's a foot of hardcore under the couple inches of sand! So I'll have to find a home for all of that first!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

if its good hardcore, you should'nt have a problem gettin rid of it, a farmer might take it for a gateway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Finnt wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies, it's on hold for now I took up some of the cobbles last night and there's a foot of hardcore under the couple inches of sand! So I'll have to find a home for all of that first!!

If you are only putting down a lawn, the hardcore will allow for better drainage. You'll need 6" of topsoil for a lawn, so you might have to scrape off just a bit from the top.
    I calculate 8.25 tonnes required so you'll have to buy 9 at least. Buy 10 and use the extra for a raised bed?

Advertisement