Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what masters do I do to become a secondary school teacher?

• 09-07-2014 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi all,

Would really appreciate if someone could help me figure out the route to secondary school teaching at the moment as a postgraduate starting in Sep 2015?

So I understand it was originally that one would do a 1 year hdip with teaching placement throughout the year.

What is the story now is it a two year master of education one has to do to become a secondary school teacher? or are there still colleges that offer a one year hdip?

I completed a BSc in science two years ago. I studied chemistry for 4 years and biology for 3 years. I've been working in a QC lab for a year and a half now but I'm really getting fed up with the work. I absolutely loved science in school and think I would find it fulfilling teaching science.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Check with you teaching council website that you are qualified to teach two LC subjects, jobs are scarce otherwise. Jobs are scarce anyway but that's not the point. There is a list of recognised degrees on the website.

The Masters is abbreviated to PME, and yes is two years. Research what college would be closest or handiest to you. There is a very big thread on the forum that will answer a lot of your questions already.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 averagejoesgym

Thanks for reply.

Checked teaching council website and I can teach chemistry and biology. If I did one more year of physics I could have taught phys chem too darn.

Found that thread loads of answers on it cheers.

I'm from Galway so NUIG would probably be my first choice I think my old school is good for taking on past pupils as trainee teachers too.

Curious are there any colleges that specialize in PME for science teaching? I think Trinity do but would rather another college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I might be wrong but I think Trinity's masters in science teaching is intended for teachers who are already qualified science teachers, not at people wishing to qualify as science teachers. A few places do science teaching undergrad degrees. UL is probably the closest to Galway that I'm aware of. Maynooth do it too (and with the motorway, that's pretty close to Galway these days) and I think UCD do.

RealJohn wrote: »
    I might be wrong but I think Trinity's masters in science teaching is intended for teachers who are already qualified science teachers, not at people wishing to qualify as science teachers. A few places do science teaching undergrad degrees. UL is probably the closest to Galway that I'm aware of. Maynooth do it too (and with the motorway, that's pretty close to Galway these days) and I think UCD do.

Thanks for reply, ya I see that with trinity now it's for already qualified teachers. I would be looking to do a masters though couldn't do a whole undergrad again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Thanks for reply, ya I see that with trinity now it's for already qualified teachers. I would be looking to do a masters though couldn't do a whole undergrad again.

You would have to do the PME. Two years duration and available in all universities and Hibernia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

I strongly advise anyone wishing to pursue a career in secondary teaching to reconsider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31 Superdude1234

I strongly advise anyone wishing to pursue a career in secondary teaching to reconsider.

Why?

I'm currently working long hours for very low pay and on a contract in a QC lab. So if it is pay and working hours you are warning against I am not worried about it.

But are there other aspects of teaching that you would warn against at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

I'm currently working long hours for very low pay and on a contract in a QC lab. So if it is pay and working hours you are warning against I am not worried about it.

But are there other aspects of teaching that you would warn against at the moment?

You will be lucky to get long paid hours in teaching. You may get 8 hours paid (a week) in your NQT year and you may put in 20 hours prep and extracurriculars but you won't get paid for it. Job availability is the most off putting aspect of teaching currently but there are more. If you are lucky to get a permanent position in a decent school it is a fulfilling job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Have a look here for recent discussion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement