Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electronic Drum Kit

Options
  • 09-07-2014 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'm living in an apartment. The guy renting the apartment overhead plays an electronic drumkit regularly. It's not so much the volume, but the vibrations and impact sounds that I'm hearing that drive me nuts! Whenever he drums - I feel it - above the tv, washing machine, etc.

Any suggestions?? I've already brought it to his attention on a few occasions but it doesn't seem to have much effect. The landlord has been useless.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ask them to use headphones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Take up the bagpipes.

Joking aside most apartment complexes will have something in the lease (the one the owner purchased). Get on to your landlord, if you're the owner, get on to the OMC. You've done the right thing by approaching your neighbour informally (and I presume politely), that doesn't always work, unfortunately.

Sorry after re-reading I assume YOUR landlord has been useless. Tell him that unless some action is taken (all he need do is CC you in on letters to the OMC) you'll register a complaint with the PRTB. It might be worth doing that anyway if the person upstairs in renting.

If the managing agent is worth a damn (many aren't) they will also have a noise reporting procedure in place which should be open to the occupiers of the apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

During what times?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Victor wrote: »
    Ask them to use headphones.

I suspect this won't help entirely; there's still a lot of vibration caused by an electronic kit on headphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

tell him to get a sheet of 50mm kingspan and a sheet of plywood/ MDF, if you put a drumkit and stool on top of that most of the vibration disappears, worked well for a real drumkit in my house so the electric should be easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Derrick123

During what times?

The times and duration range from 15 minutes to about 90 minutes. It can happen any time of the day - 8.45am, 1.30pm, 5pm, 8pm etc. The number of times it happens during the day also varies. Sometimes he plays to a backing track which we can also hear - loudly! Fortunately he doesn't do it after 9 - but then I guess it would interfere with his little kids sleeping!

When he's drumming, it's the beat/vibration that's coming through. It's a thudding sound that gets louder and more intense - very annoying.

In response to one the other comments - we are owner occupiers of our place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Get on to the managing agent and your board of directors, whom I'm sure you know through your regular attendance at your OMC's AGM.

What stipulations are there in your lease? Mine, for example, doesn't allow certain noise at anytime and has a complete prohibition on any noise heard outside of the apartment between certain times.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

tell him to get a sheet of 50mm kingspan and a sheet of plywood/ MDF, if you put a drumkit and stool on top of that most of the vibration disappears, worked well for a real drumkit in my house so the electric should be easier.

Add an oriental rug and you've got yourself a mini stage for drumming.

Advertisement