Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media Server build

Options
  • 09-07-2014 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at setting up a media server, and rather than buying a NAS I think it would be much more beneficial to build my own.
    I want to run Plex Media Server on this. I currently have all my media on a 2TB external drive, and would hope to use this if possible.

My main consideration is the size and noise. I don't have much space for this so will be storing it in a TV cabinet. I'm hoping for something around the size of a Mac Mini.

Thanks in advance

1. What is your budget? Around €350

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Media Server

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Probably Not

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Might have some RAM I can use, but unsure of type.

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? Unsure, but don't think monitor will be an issue.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Wireless Card

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Possibly

8. How can you pay? Card, Paypal

9. When are you purchasing? as soon as possible

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

If all you're using it for is Plex Media Server then the primary question is how many people will be connecting to PMS, and how.

If you're using Plex to just watch stuff on another laptop and one or two TVs then transcoding is not necessary. You could get a cheap Synology NAS to run Plex and it would happily live in a cupboard. Small and cheap.

But if there will be remote users connecting to Plex, or you're using an iPad or tablet to watch stuff, or you use Plex Sync often, then you'll need a server that can transcode. i3 would be the recommendation. In this case you could look at an Intel NUC with an i3 processor. It'll be very small and quiet and will happily live in even a small cupboard. The bare kit for an i3 starts at about 250 euro but you need to add your own memory and storage.

I run Plex as well but I have about 5 regular remote users and an increasing number of tablets connecting up. So I've gone for a custom mITX i3 build that is fairly simple but has a beefy enough full-speed desktop i3 processor; I can't see myself needing to update this for a while. Total cost was 406 euro, just a bit out of your budget. I've only just ordered it though so I don't know how difficult it will be to put together or if it's going to be particularly noisy.. details in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

I should have put that information in there!

Most viewing will be done on one TV. Unsure yet how I will do this. I have an Apple TV, and a Bluray player that supports DLNA. I am open to getting a Chromecast, Raspberry Pi, Roku or something cheap that would make it easy to connect.
    Two laptops also, but these shouldn't be a problem.
    I think the main issue is that I would like to view media on an iPad too. This means transcoding, right?

I've seen looked at a NUC, but thought they would be quite pricey after adding in RAM and storage. Can I buy a cheap HDD for it and the plug an external HD into it with all the media on it? I have 2 x 2TB external drives so don't really feel the need to buy more storage if I don't have to. Note they are 2.5" drives.

Your build could be plausible too. If I buy a cheaper HD too it would be almost within budget, but my question about using external drives still applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

fjon wrote: »
    I should have put that information in there!

Most viewing will be done on one TV. Unsure yet how I will do this. I have an Apple TV, and a Bluray player that supports DLNA. I am open to getting a Chromecast, Raspberry Pi, Roku or something cheap that would make it easy to connect.
    Two laptops also, but these shouldn't be a problem.
    I think the main issue is that I would like to view media on an iPad too. This means transcoding, right?

https://www.google.ie/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=plex+on+apple+tv

"Apple TV does not have an official Plex app. However, if you have an iOS device with the Plex app installed, you can use Airplay mirroring to send it to your Apple TV. Just remember to change the settings so the mobile device can receive 1080p video over your home WiFi. This way when it gets sent through Airplay mirroring, it doesn't look pixelated."

Once you have your plex server up: all you need are the end clients.
    Transcoding is not too bad once you have an ok cpu and a decent network connection.

I am running my little plex server off an AMD A series 5800K which is total overkill. No issues streaming to android devices wirelessly.

We also have a Roku 3 in the house and a chromecast: which also work flawlessly.

TBH there is nothing stopping you attaching the 2td harddrive to a laptop and installing the server on it to play around with it......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

uberpixie wrote: »
    https://www.google.ie/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=plex+on+apple+tv

"Apple TV does not have an official Plex app. However, if you have an iOS device with the Plex app installed, you can use Airplay mirroring to send it to your Apple TV. Just remember to change the settings so the mobile device can receive 1080p video over your home WiFi. This way when it gets sent through Airplay mirroring, it doesn't look pixelated."

Once you have your plex server up: all you need are the end clients.
    Transcoding is not too bad once you have an ok cpu and a decent network connection.

I am running my little plex server off an AMD A series 5800K which is total overkill. No issues streaming to android devices wirelessly.

We also have a Roku 3 in the house and a chromecast: which also work flawlessly.

TBH there is nothing stopping you attaching the 2td harddrive to a laptop and installing the server on it to play around with it......

Cheers - I think the clients will take less work to set up.
    On running Plex on Apple TV - I found this which I'm willing to give a try.
    If not, what would you recommend between the Roku and Chromecast?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

fjon wrote: »
    Cheers - I think the clients will take less work to set up.
    On running Plex on Apple TV - I found this which I'm willing to give a try.
    If not, what would you recommend between the Roku and Chromecast?
    Clients take almost zero effort to setup. They can auto scan the network to pick up the Plex server.

Chromecast pros: very easy to use, quick to setup.
    Cons: screen sharing from a pc or laptop is a little laggy, you can only "cast" from applications that support the feature.

Google are rolling out screen sharing for Android devices in their next release of Android though.....

Roku 3 is very slick and comes with its own remote. You can plug headphones directly into the remote and the Roku will stream sound to your headphones. No need for wireless headphones which is a very nice touch.

The Roku 3 is also very fast in operation. (their stick is meant to be rubbish so avoid...)

The only real downsides to the Roku are you need to pay on subscribe for some channels. Atleast with Android devices on your own account you buy once an down use across multiple devices.

Either would do the trick: the chromecast is probably a bit more flexible but the Roku 3 runs really well and comes with a remote. The Plex app for the Roku 3 also runs extremely fast with almost no lag. Plex on Android there will be a little more delay before something starts streaming.

Roku 3 also has USB a port for local playback.

• Advertisement
Advertisement