Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honeymoon right after wedding weekend?

Options
  • 09-07-2014 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Getting married in March 2015,, I have started to think about the Honeymoon.. We are getting married on the Friday and also doing something on the Saturday (bbq) but was thinking it would be cool to head off on the Sunday morning for the Honeymoon,, driving away with the whole 'just married' words on the car with everyone waving us off,, (bit cheesy I know),,

Does anyone have experience of this?, or is it a bad idea to head off so soon on a long haul flight with probably a fairly rough hangover and general tiredness... might make more sense to wait until the Monday?

When do people usually go on a honeymoon after getting married?
    Thinking of Dubai then on to South Africa..
    Thanks,,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭GalwayGirl26

I would suggest leaving it until the Monday/Tuesday- As you mentioned, you'll be tired and hungover, but also you're just adding stress; Having to organise the packing and planning before hand, in addition to the lead up to the big day! It would be easier to allocate Sunday as a day to rest and prepare.
    Also, chances are you'll just drive away; bit annoying trying to arrange a send off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

Unless you really are Superman, I would leave a day or two in between your wedding and jetting off!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

To think my parents had their Honeymoon in Bray, imagine the hangover on train on way!:D

Anyway enjoy OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

We are getting married on a Friday too. It is also a bank holiday weekend so we are hoping to go on the Monday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭Gatica

I don't know who you think will be making an effort to get up Sunday morning to wave you off, unless you're having a huge 2-day wedding and everyone's staying at the hotel and you're leaving the morning after.
    Usually if you have a send off like that it's sometime right after the wedding, e.g. after dinner and first dance...
    We had Friday wedding and left on a Monday for our honeymoon. We met up with some more friends on Saturday evening. Spent Sunday morning reading our wedding cards, which was a wonderful way to tie us over to the honeymoon after the wedding high. Then evening packing and putting things away before leaving on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Bear in mind also that you will probably have to make a visit to the bank before jetting off. Also, there is some paperwork to hand in to register the marriage. Granted, a family member or friend can do this for you but keep it in mind. We left on the Tuesday, giving us Monday to get any last jobs done. It was also nice having a day, just the two of us at home before leaving

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Got married on the Saturday, family get together on the Sunday, flew out to a paradise island on the Monday morning. We slept on the plane and were still very much enjoying the buzz of the whole occasion. Don't let the ordinary or sensible get in the way of the most exciting weekend of your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Im getting married next Friday and having a BBQ on the sat. We are going to go on the honeymoon on the Monday as I have been on a flight with a hangover and swore I'd never do it again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Married on the Saturday, recovered on the Sunday, flew out on Monday. Got married abroad and flew off from there on h/moon

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭mapaca

I would say leave it till the Monday. A lot of your guests might have travelled to the wedding and be staying around for the whole weekend and it's nice to be able to hang out with people and enjoy the buzz after the big day. Also to give yourselves time to rest and pack, you will be tired!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Well tis up to ye, depends what ye want.

I do kinda like the idea heading away with all the people waving and just married on the back of the car..

Was thinking of what to do with our own and at the time I was saying yeah defo head away straight after but then was thinking I would like to stay like said above and enjoy things with family and friends that have travelled over enjoy the celebration while it lasts..

If you have no one travelling far then your sorted head away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I'd leave it a couple of days before heading off. When we married, we didn't leave until the Monday or the Tuesday (can't remember which) for a short honeymoon in the West of Ireland. Believe me, we needed it.

You need a bit of time to get the suits back, store away the wedding gifts and get the cert in to register the marriage. Oh - and you need time to process the fact you're now a Mrs!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭Gatica

You need a bit of time to get the suits back, store away the wedding gifts and get the cert in to register the marriage. Oh - and you need time to process the fact you're now a Mrs!

I think this is something you can get your bridesmaid or best man to do if they don't mind. The only thing we had to do after the wedding was read our cards, get our bags and go on honeymoon.
    Any gift money was lodged by our best man, he returned the suits and his wife kindly returned the marriage registration form and even ordered us the marriage cert so we'd have it on our return.
    Take a day to chill out though, put your feet up and look forward to your honeymoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Personally, we preferred to do this ourselves. Something as important as registering the marriage I wouldn't leave to friends and family. I'd do it myself. It's a very important part of being a Mr and Mrs...As we were in town anyway, we took back the suits at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Definitely a preference thing. Thankfully my best man had been married himself a few months previous, so he understood the gravitas of making sure the paperwork went off. He had the envelope prepared and with him at the ceremony. Immediately after the ceremony he went off to a local copy shop (we were in the city) and had 2 copies made before popping the originals into the envelope and posting them.

If it was a case that the paperwork would have to stay overnight in a hotel room or you know your family can be flakey about this stuff, then yeah I would be inclined to hold onto it and send it off yourself.

On the honeymoon, definitely give yourselves a day or two break between the ceremony and the trip. Same as some others, we did the wedding on the Saturday, a small family get together the next night and then took the Monday to open presents (and bring them to the bank!), pack and do those little things that need doing. Heading off straight from wedding to honeymoon means that you have to co-ordinate a lot of people to dump your excess baggage onto (i.e. wedding dress, suits, presents, flowers, etc etc etc) and trust that they'll take care of it until you get back.

Also as mentioned above, you've a bit of a romantic notion in your head about being waved off :D
    Nobody is getting up the morning after a BBQ to wave you off except your mammies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭murphydublin

The marriage has to be registered within 4 weeks , if you are back by then , there's no rush! I went on honeymoon the following day, there was no way i was going back home to get caught up in mundane stuff like dishes etc, it would definitely have ruined the buzz

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Married on Thursday. Left for the airport at 5am after the wedding. Slept on the plane. All good. But I was only 23.....dont know if I could handle that now!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭superman28

Thanks for all the replies, I would say we will head off on the Monday.. probably best to give ourselves that extra day..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

We're not going on ours til about 3 weeks after the wedding.. have a friend's wedding in the meantime also.

I'd rather have a nice break after the Wedding.. and we're going to the Caribbean and it'll be Spring Break there just after our wedding, so we'd prefer to go when it's not full of partying school kids.

Can't wait to go though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭paulbok

Married at home in Roscommon on a Friday, relaxed in the hotel spa on Saturday before meeting our friends for the Saturday night, had a wonderful extended family meal on the Sunday before heading back to Dublin that evening. Long haul honeymoon flights were at around 10am on the Monday and we were still fairly jaded, so if you can, don't be in a rush to get away.
    The few days of the wedding will pass like a flash for you, the more little 'time outs' you both take together will help you to actually remember as much of the event as possible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement