Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lease expiring within next few months - monthly rolling?

Options
  • 09-07-2014 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

My lease will be expiring within the next few months and I have received a letter today from the letting agent that the landlord would like to keep me on as a tenant, along with a rent increase and renewal of a lease.

Now, I'm fine with the rent increase, however due to my contract employment I am not comfortable with signing a 12 month lease again since my contract ends in January. (Obviously within that time I would hope to have new employment but hypothetically it may not happen)

What is the situation regarding monthly rolling leases after the lease termination? I was reading these fall under a part 4 tenancy?

I plan on becoming a long term tenant, but I don't want to be in the situation where I sign another legally binding document for 12 months and I cannot pay rent nearly 5-6 months into it (again IF that situation arose).

I would like to compromise a situation but I wouldn't exactly know 100% how to go about it.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

You are entitled to refuse signing another contract and just opt for the Part IV tenancy, tbh, if you're agreeable to the rent increase they shouldn't have too much to whinge about.
    Just ring the agent and explain the situation to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,804 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It won't be just monthly, though.

The longer you are there, the longer notice period you need to give when you move out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

It all comes down to what kind of tenant you are. You could sign it and give a month's notice when ever you want. This is normal in Ireland regardless of how legally binding it is. Then you will be using your deposit as last month's rent as not to get burnt (you are dealing with a greedy LL after all).

If you do sign it vigorously refuse a rent increase. Or negotiate a 6 month lease. Or agree to increase in rent with part 4 tenancy.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

SeanPuddin wrote: »
    It all comes down to what kind of tenant you are. You could sign it and give a month's notice when ever you want. This is normal in Ireland regardless of how legally binding it is. Then you will be using your deposit as last month's rent as not to get burnt (you are dealing with a greedy LL after all).

If you do sign it vigorously refuse a rent increase. Or negotiate a 6 month lease. Or agree to increase in rent with part 4 tenancy.

Please do not advocate illegal behaviour on this forum - it is against the charter.

Advertisement