Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lodger taking 6 weeks off work

Options
  • 09-07-2014 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

Hypothetically question - as what to be ready with my answer if it does happen. Hope this is OK.

I rent a room in my house and the Lodger's employer has given her 6 weeks off work from August till mid September. She will be going away in this time and she will not be staying at the house. I have a feeling she is going to ask me not to charge her rent for the same period of time and I can't afford to do this.

I would have to tell her she will have to move out but if I don't anyone in the time she is gone I wouldn't be too keen on her moving back. I get on with her but I don't get 6 weeks off my mortgage and also it is in an area that is hard to rent a small country town.

Just wondering has this happened to anyone before.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

No chance! Just explain to her honestly that you can't afford to hold the room for her rent free, and if she wants to leave she'll have to give appropriate notice.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

shoes34 wrote: »
    it is in an area that is hard to rent a small country town.

She's not entitled to 6 weeks off her rent (neither are you obliged to store her belongings for free) but I have quoted the most pertinent part, if you don't think you can get someone in to replace her then maybe you could compromise on a reduced rent in order for you to hold her room and store her belongings. Start out suggesting a 25% reduction of rent with the hopes you'll settle on 50%.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

shoes34 wrote: »
    I would have to tell her she will have to move out but if I don't anyone in the time she is gone I wouldn't be too keen on her moving back. I get on with her but I don't get 6 weeks off my mortgage and also it is in an area that is hard to rent a small country town.

Hard to get a renter or hard to find a place to rent?

I'd imagine the former. If that was the case, along with the fact that you get on with her, I'd start out trying to negotiate a deal. If she doesn't go for that then I'd still not burn any bridges. Tell her you can't guarantee the room but that if she comes back in 6 weeks and you haven't filled the room that she's welcome to it. That you do or do not get anything off your mortgage has nothing to do with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I have a longstanding tenant in my rented house - again, small town in the country. She is a teacher and I give her 3 months every summer for the price of 2. Better than an empty room and I get to keep a reliable tenant.

Advertisement