Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Morning sickness getting worse at 12 weeks

Options
  • 09-07-2014 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi all, I dunno if it advice, opinions, or consolation I am looking for! I am 12 weeks pregnant on my first, it was an unexpected pregnancy and one which I am only getting my head around now- we were due to get married on my due date!! I have been very anxious for the last few weeks, and was feeling ill but rarely got sick. I was putting down the bad nausea to Morning sickness and also my distressed state.

I was literally counting down the hours to 12 weeks. It came with me getting sick that morning! I have been sick every morning since. Last night, I was really sick at 11pm, with both diarrhea and vomiting. I went to bed. Woke at 1am and same thing again.

Is anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Any of my relatives and friends are all claiming how they never had morning sickness, and it has been suggested to me that 'I have too much time on my hands to think', I am also recently unemployed!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Unfortunately the dreaded all day nausea and feeling rubbish can kick in any time. On my first I was nauseous for the entire time. It'd ease off but never went. Nothing shifted it. On mysecond I had a few weeks of peace in the middle but again I was nauseous from about five weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 cosycottager

Lasygal, what did you use to try get rid of it? I feel like I am cracking up with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Sorry to say I'm 17 weeks and still nauseated. It's better than it was at the start but it's still there, I felt very cheated by the claims of it stopping at 12 weeks!

As for your friends, how rude! Some women are horrendous for judging your pregnancy against their own. 'I never had morning sickness, you must be imagining it/exaggerating', 'Back pain? I was lifting crates at 9 months pregnant, you're just milking it' etc etc. It's as if they can't grasp the concept that each pregnancy is different.

Ginger & lemon tea helps, there's a nice one in Lidl and I think Barrys do one too. I never found ginger nut biscuits much good though.

No I tried the ginger nut too and I never found them any good. I actually have a ginger tea in front of me waiting for it to cool, I was a serious coffee drinker before pregnancy not cannot face any hot drinks! I had really hoped for 12 weeks to start feeling somewhat good again. I cant believe that I get to 12 weeks and I am worse than ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

I was literally counting down the hours to 12 weeks. It came with me getting sick that morning! I have been sick every morning since. Last night, I was really sick at 11pm, with both diarrhea and vomiting. I went to bed. Woke at 1am and same thing again.

Are you sure you don't have a bug? I've had multiple hospitalisations with hyperemesis (extreme morning sickness) and from what I've gathered diarrhoea isn't a normal or expected part of morning sickness so maybe just go to your gp to rule out a bug?

Morning sickness can be helped by:
    Sea sickness bands
    Acupuncture
    Eating cracker before getting out of bed
    Don't let yourself get hungry
    Eat every two hours even just a ginger biscuit
    Hard booked sweets to get rid of excess saliva.

Be very careful with diarrhoea of getting dehydrated as that's what has caused me to end up in hospital so many times.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. My partner and Mum suggested a bug to me this morning too and I nearly ate them without salt but maybe your right. I have the bands, I am booked for accupunture Sat morning. I tend to eat on the hour every hour of some description. Thanks for the tip re water, although I find it hard to stomach that at the min as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭xalot

You have my sympathies, I found that even though I had no appetite that if my stomach was empty it was way worse so snack on crackers, I had some before I even got out of bed in the morning. Keep nibbling away on dry food, nothing greasy and nothing with a strong odour.

Ginger Ale was also a godsend.

I know people who found the travel sickness wrist band things that you get in Boots good but didn't do anything for me.

It's safe to take Diorolyte sachets in pregnancy, they'll stop you getting dehydrated from being sick

Thanks for that. My partner and Mum suggested a bug to me this morning too and I nearly ate them without salt but maybe your right. I have the bands, I am booked for accupunture Sat morning. I tend to eat on the hour every hour of some description. Thanks for the tip re water, although I find it hard to stomach that at the min as well.

Any liquid that will stay down be it water, lucozade, lucozade sport, even lemon squeezed in water helped me, Lemon barley cordial, 7up....depending on how I was feeling any of the above would do and sometimes none so I just drank tea. Hospital tea is my favourite seriously!!

But I don't think diarrhoea is normal for morning sickness so watch yourself for signs of getting dehydrated such as not peeing enough or often enough. If it was just a couple of episodes you will be fine but go to gp if it persists.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Hi all, I dunno if it advice, opinions, or consolation I am looking for! I am 12 weeks pregnant on my first, it was an unexpected pregnancy and one which I am only getting my head around now- we were due to get married on my due date!! I have been very anxious for the last few weeks, and was feeling ill but rarely got sick. I was putting down the bad nausea to Morning sickness and also my distressed state.

Any of my relatives and friends are all claiming how they never had morning sickness, and it has been suggested to me that 'I have too much time on my hands to think', I am also recently unemployed!

I felt your pain! I had hyperemesis until 4o weeks. The day the baby came was the day it stopped! I found resting helped as in literally staying in bed. Give yourself loads of time to do things. Carry plastic bags with you at all times and baby wipes too! I drank peppermint tea (sometimes it worked sometimes not) and actually got great relief from a can of coca cola. In fact when I was in labour I actually drank coke lol lol. Supposedly it is the syrup in coke that has an anti nausea agent in it. You can buy bottles of the syrup in the USA and on amazon but I only found that out after I had the baby. I couldn't drink tea or coffee. I had maybe 5 cans a week! Before anyone tells you about caffeine etc the midwives worked it out for me and you would want to be drinking an insane amount of coke per day to have any negative effect (I think it was 8-10 cans per day!) in fact one can had less caffeine in that if you drank coffee. (Can't remember the exact figures). On my bad days nothing helped I would vomit maybe 60 times. I used to just count down till due date. It is very draining. Try and keep down your preggers vitamins as supposedly vitamin bs help with nausea. Try and keep drinking water to stay hydrated too. If you have a headache get them Kool and soothe foreheads strips they are great. If you can't even keep water down you can go gp they will test you to see if you are dehydrated and might put you on a drip. (I used to go to gp not hospital). Some hospitals do prescribe the anti sickness tablets which are meant to be great but I didn't want to go down the road neither did my gp/hospital. Fingers crossed it disappears for you soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Ninjini

I agree with everyone about staying hydrated.

My morning sickness lasted my entire first pregnancy.

Strong smells would have me dashing to the bathroom.
    Strangely the only relief I got came from salt and vinegar crisps. At times they were all I could keep down

• Advertisement

Lasygal, what did you use to try get rid of it? I feel like I am cracking up with it.

I tried everything. Nothing worked. I got temporary relief from coke but my teeth paid the price!

I tried everything. Nothing worked. I got temporary relief from coke but my teeth paid the price!

lazygal wrote: »

:( I went to dentist when my baby was maybe 3 months for a check up and clean and thank god my teeth were still perfect. I have really strong teeth though, never have even had a filling! I was so worried that the stomach acid from all the vomiting would of eroded my enamel but thank god it didn't!

Thanks for all the advice girls, I have not had diarrhea today, I was sick again but I know that just goes with the territory! I find salt and vinegar taytos great too; anything with salt! I am def gonna try eating something before I get up in the morning and see how that goes. I am praying I will not suffer for the whole pregnancy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I never actually got sick when I was pregnant but I was as sick as a dog on both. On my son it magically and mercifully stopped at 12 weeks but on my daughter it dragged to about 17 weeks.

I kept a stash of crackers and rich tea biscuits with me all the time. I would've eaten ready salted crisps off a dirty floor. Also fizzy water really helped. Sometimes icecream and ice pops too.

Millem wrote: »
    :( I went to dentist when my baby was maybe 3 months for a check up and clean and thank god my teeth were still perfect. I have really strong teeth though, never have even had a filling! I was so worried that the stomach acid from all the vomiting would of eroded my enamel but thank god it didn't!

I had a bit of work which I should've done before tcc. If you're planning a baby go to the dentist! Ended up needing five deep fillings after two in 15 months and a lot of vomiting and fizzy drinks.

Girls you are killing me with the thoughts of being sick until due date. I'm 13 weeks today and just out of hospital for the 4th time praying to god I've turned a corner and I'm going to get better. The thoughts of another 27 weeks eek!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Immy

I remember like that waiting for the magic 12 weeks for the morning sickness to go and it actually got worse. It eased off and went around 15-16 weeks for me.

Girls you are killing me with the thoughts of being sick until due date. I'm 13 weeks today and just out of hospital for the 4th time praying to god I've turned a corner and I'm going to get better. The thoughts of another 27 weeks eek!!!!

Stop I know! I remember waiting for the magical dates 12 weeks, 18 weeks, after it didn't stop at 24 weeks I knew it woyls stay until 40 weeks. Would you believe from week 30ish-40 was the worst! Tbh I couldn't even work for my pregnancy. I reckon I did maybe 5 weeks at a push.

Before I had my children, to my shame I often silently scoffed at another woman in my department for her constant sick leave during her pregnancies. I wondered why she couldn't pull herself together because surely it could't be that bad.

I ate my words SO. MANY. TIMES. on my first pregnancy. Thankfully second time I was still on maternity leave for the worst bit at the start, but ended up being signed off work by my GP during the hot summer last year in the end. Lesson learned! Do not judge a pregnant woman's behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 mummy5

Hey!

Im the same as you sista! Im 16 weeks tomorrow. I started off fine not a bother until week 6 six then bam! the nausea hit me hard, i had to stop working. At 13 weeks the nausea got worse and I vomited :( The is baby number 2. I have to say although its hard being constantly nauseated its a much easier pregnancy than my first ( nausea lasted 9 months, vomiting lasted 5 months) so im trying to be grateful im not as bad as last time. Although its difficult remembering that when your struggling for energy to shower etc. lol.

Its definitely hard when people dont understand just HOW sick your feeling or they keep saying "oh dont worry that will pass at 12 weeks" Grrr. Hoping it passes for u soon x

Advertisement