Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSD setup for Windows/Linus dual boot

Options
  • 09-07-2014 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭

New PC build hopefully arriving this weekend, and I'd like to set up a Windows/Linux dual boot.

I've got a 120GB SSD, and a 1TB HDD.

I'd appreciate any tips on how to set up the dual boot, including how much space on the SSD to allocate to each OS and what should be put on the SSD versus the HDD.

This seems to be the most detailed guide I can find.

I'll probably be mainly using Linux for development, and Windows for gaming.
    Is there any reason not to format the entire HDD as NTFS and share it between Linux and Windows?
    Or should I put the swap partition on the HDD, and if so should it be formatted as ext4?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Mobius1977

Grats on the new build. Is there a reason you aren't running Linux in a Virtual Machine? It is a bit less complicated and ofc you can have both OS running and tab between them at will. Also if you set up a dynamic disk on the Linux VM you won't lose the disk space you give the linux box until it uses it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Just figured if I'm doing most of my development in Linux and there's anything intensive, it'll be more efficient dual booting.
    Plus I've gotten used to Mint as my main working environment over the last couple of years, so I'll probably spend more time in that than windows anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you'll only use windows sporadically I'd do:
    Mint: 120GB - SWAP for /, SWAP - SSD
    Windows, 200GB C: - HDD
    Shared: 700 odd storage pool for both OSs.

Advertisement