Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another decking question

Options
  • 09-07-2014 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭

I just got some decking down in the garden. Very happy with it :)
    So many different opinions out there on what to do next.

Some say let it weather for a few months.

Others say get decking oil on it asap.

My Father says whatever i do dont stain it as it will flake.

And some say stain it first, then put decking oil over it.

So what is the best thing to do in your experience?

any thoughts very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭tipperary

Probably depends on what product you plan to use. I was recommended to use Textron, which I have found excellent, if expensive. The recommendations for Textron is to leave the wood to weather for 6 months or so. It is available in different colours too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Well def dont want to stain it, so will go with the decking oil.

Big question is whether to wait a few months, or lash it on straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭keltoms05

I would leave it weather for 6 months and then apply the decking oil. That way it will soak in more. I done a decking this time last year, power washed it then lashed on the ronseal decking oil (50 euro for 5 litres in woodies), seen it last week and still looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Sound, thats kind of the impression i was getting online, although some say 3 months would suffice.

I assume after power washing you need to let it dry out for a few days before applying the oil?

shouldnt need power washing after only a few months, this decking wasnt treated or cleaned in years. but it dried up pretty quick with the weather last summer. Id say in a few months u would only need to sweep it prior to putting the oil on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

Don't weather its pointless considering you will have to powerwash it before you oil it,then it will look crap..would love to know where people get the idea it's good to weather
    I highly recommend oiling it as a easy hassle free way of maintenance

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

Don't weather its pointless considering you will have to powerwash it before you oil it,then it will look crap..would love to know where people get the idea it's good to weather

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Yeah, surely the wood is at it's most porous when it is fresh (and therefore the chosen treatment will penetrate the wood better). I noticed with mine, which is a few years old, that in spite of cleaning it off last year, then oiling it, when I powerwashed it this year there was a huge amount of gunk removed. So again, if you leave it for a few month and then powerwash it, the oil or other treatment will penetrate more than if you just swept it.

vinnie13 wrote: »

Back of the Ronseal decking oil tin, would say they know a little more than you on this ;)

Advertisement