Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No record in Griffiths Valuation and Tithe

Options
  • 09-07-2014 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I have not been able to find my family in either of these two separate land records. I have tried to look in other areas in the same County but cannot find them. Can anyone explain why I cannot find my family?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Lots of possible reasons:
    name spelt differently
    looking in the wrong place
    they didn't own or directly lease land/property

I have ancestors who are not listed in Griffiths even though I know they where they were living at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Yeah, there are all sorts of reasons as to why a family/person might not appear in the Tithe Books. Two being living in a large urban area or being a member of the cottier/landless labourer class.

From memory (I think from something I read or heard from John Grenham), 80% of heads of households are in Griffiths. Your ancestors might be in the other 20%.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

KildareFan wrote: »
    ....I have ancestors who are not listed in Griffiths even though I know they where they were living at the time.

same for me in three separate cases ... two due to their occupations, a Land Steward and a Coast Guard and another I suspect may have been living in the same household as relatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bananabooks

Thanks everyone for the suggestions

Advertisement