Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A Peugeot 407 Dilemma

Options
  • 08-07-2014 11:24pm

Hi guys,

Picked up a 2006 Peugeot 407. This is the interior of the car (not my car, image from Google).

407-interior.jpg

The centre of the dash is a tower of, seemingly integrated, units.

These are (top to bottom):

Air Vents
    LCD Display
    CD Player/Buttons
    Car controls (air vent controls, locks, etc.)
    Storage space/power socket

(I may have gotten them names wrong, but you know what Im talking about).

In my previous car, the 2004 Rav4, a head unit change was easy as pie.

In this, I'm not sure where I stand or what I'm looking at.

My aim is to introduce bluetooth playback into the car (ie; play music off my phone, through the car speakers).

However, the issue im facing is that each of the two likely candidates for removal, the LCD info display, or the CD player beneath it, each have parts that are necessary for the car to function fully.

For example, if i remove the display screen, I lose out on knowing what direction my vents are blowing air, warning/error messages, etc. If I remove the CD player beneath it, I lose out on physical controls (ie; climate buttons, etc. that interact directly with the above screen).

From what I can see, Peugeot released a double din screen for the car:

2006-peugeot-407-34_600x0w.jpg

But this seems tough to find, and most likely will be a very expensive fix, to just get some bluetooth functionality into the car.

So I was wondering if anyone on here would have any ideas or suggestions, or better yet, if anyone here has any experience with toying about with the 407's head unit?

In this video:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xexxm3_peugeot-407-install-gps_auto

It would appear that the chap has managed to ram any old third party unit in there, but he somehow also put the LCD info display on top of the dashboard (or is that just a different version of the car?!).

That'd be ideally what I'd like.

Anyone any ideas? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

The radio is just the part with the CD player and buttons. The climate buttons underneath are a separate unit.

It should take any single din unit with a fascia adaptor to fill the opening completely.

Unfortunately not quite.

Heres a photo of a head unit somewhat similar to mine;

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/BjIAAOSwFTRTqX9~/$_57.JPG

The 6 buttons on the right are the usual buttons you'd get. The 6 on the left are directly involved with the info display..?

This is what i ideally want:

1.jpg

Taken from this ebay listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/11-030-Radio-Fascia-for-PEUGEOT-407-CITROEN-C5-Stereo-Dash-Installation-Trim-Kit-/281158044199?pt=US_Car_Audio_Video_Dashboard_Installation_Kits&hash=item4176534a27

Whatever way that's working, the image used there shows a double din screen (any random one at all, from the look of it) but it also keeps the peugeot 407 displays (the 'person sitting in chair' diagram with fan direction, etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

But the display should work fine for the climate control without the radio.

Well, for example, theres a button on the CD player, bottom left, that says 'CLIM'. When you press this, it brings up (on the display) the option to turn on or off air con.

Without this button i either have air con on all the time, or never (or at least this is my understanding of the situation anyway).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

How about a third party Bluetooth kit? I've a Bury out that works well.

Would that just be for phone calls though? I am more interested in getting music through my car speakers from my phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

I have an IO Play 2 kit in my car. Its great job. BT handsfree and also streams the music through the radio using the BT. Can pair 2 devices and has its own amp so sound is very good on it for music. I chose it over parrot as has a bigger amp if you like your tunes!

Would that just be for phone calls though? I am more interested in getting music through my car speakers from my phone?

The kit I have is a Bury 9048 and it works fine for music and calls. Cost me €160 fitted.

Okay, those two posts have cheered me up a bit..

Do ye guys have any links by any chance? Do I just buy either bit of kit online and bring it to my mechanic or is there someone out there who has a rake of them sitting in a shed and spends all day doing them (perhaps an auto-electrician that can be recommended?).

Image searches are giving me this for the Bury 9048:

92c864d504ccc2b5bf1f9ed27655609f_1000x800.jpg

and this for the IO Play 2:

ioPlay+2.jpg

Both of which look a little bit 'tacked on at the last minute' but I could definitely live with if they give me phone-music through my speakers!

• Advertisement

Rang a local auto-electrician (Autotronix.ie) briefly and asked about doing something like the above.

He suggested a Parrot MKI9200. To have it installed and such would be €250 + VAT.

Not sure if I'm mad on the price if there are cheaper alternatives that do the same thing and take up less space though. The MKI9200 seems to have a screen (which I like, but I imagine i'd be using the phone's screen more than anything else, to select music, etc?) but it means it's larger (unnecessarily so?).

parrot-mki9200.4163503.jpg

EDIT: Seems Halfords will sell and install it for €240 (incl. VAT). Not sure if I like the idea of Halfords getting involved with my car though.

Zcott wrote: »
    The kit I have is a Bury 9048 and it works fine for music and calls. Cost me €160 fitted.

Can I ask where you got it and got it fitted?

I bought mine and had it fitted by Oleary communications here in Cork. He does it all day every day along with alarms etc top work very neat and tidy. Cost 265 fitted.

Gavman84 wrote: »
    I bought mine and had it fitted by Oleary communications here in Cork. He does it all day every day along with alarms etc top work very neat and tidy. Cost 265 fitted.

Ah, the location is the only issue there (and that i'd rather spend less, if possible). You literally couldn't be any further away from me. :o

Can I ask where you got it and got it fitted?

It was a guy near Ardee, whose name I got from a Civic forum. I'll see if I can find it.

It was a guy near Ardee, whose name I got from a Civic forum. I'll see if I can find it.

That'd be the bee's knees if you could get his info for me! He'd be right on my door step! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Hi

I have a 407 coupe and bought this head unit with bluetooth functionality and the connector cable to keep full control over the climate control etc. I'm delighted with the set up

JVC KD-X250BT Mech-Less Bluetooth Media Reciever with Front USB/AUX Input by JVC http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B59P4X8/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_R5DWtb0JZN4XV

http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/connects2-ctspg013-peugeot-207-307-308-steering-wheel-adaptor-with-reverse-sensor-audio-support.html

Howdy lassykk.

To be honest, I think I've kinda settled on the IO play 2 kit as what Im gonna do.

It looks like a good bit of kit, won't interfere with the centre console layout or look out of place, and is supposed to give great sound quality based on what ive read online and in this thread as it has it's own amp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Gavman, can i ask you, do you still have steering wheel control, if you're listening to music via the play 2? (ie; can you adjust volume etc from the wheel?).

Patww79, I looked at that site but haven't a clue what I'm looking at to be completely honest. It recommended two products, but again, not sure what they are i'm actually looking at.. :o

• Advertisement

Well I got the iO Play 2 installed, by Halfords.

Aside from putting the two units in the wrong place (I specified where I wanted them) they seem to have done a decent job of it, but I haven't really had any chance to look at it properly, just yet.

FC15C30B66854D08AA64964695A65E8E-0000333410-0003611712-01024L-ACF26544DB044E999A8CBB4A76CB6523.jpg

However, I have returned to the store and they said they'll move the dash pieces for me on Sunday when the chap that fitted it is back in. I didn't mind too much about them being in the wrong place, but I was driving the car last night, and a light off one of the buttons on the lower unit, shines right into my eyes.

It's not strong enough to be blinding at all, or anything like that, but it's quite annoying/distracting. Thankfully I don't have much night time driving to be doing over the next day or two. I wanted them centered in the dash, with the button unit above the buttons on the dash, and the screen unit above the screen. Seems like a logical thing to do.

So far, I've found the sound to be tinny and crackly. Piss poor, in other words, but I'm fairly confident that's more to do with me having not played with the music equaliser on my phone (the equaliser on the Play 2 is sh*te).

So, i've to go out for a half an hour in the car now and I'll take another look at things and adjust the phone's equaliser - see if it helps at all.

Also, apparently there are wires you can buy that will enable steering wheel control to work on the iO Play2. This is pretty important, to me, so I'll be looking at that, soon.

Well I've been toying around with the iO Play 2 for a little while now and I can honestly say it's a great little unit, for what it is, but I'd strongly advise against buying one if music is your primary concern (as it is for me).

In comparison to the radio that's in the car, The sound quality is dire (CD player, for example, sounds shockingly better).

The treble/high tones in the iO Play 2 are headache-inducing, and the low tones/bass are pretty much non-existant. It's in-built equaliser is useless and there's only so much my phone can do to help it out. From looking at the wiring diagram that comes with the unit, there's no way it could have been badly wired by Halfords, so they seem to have done an all-in-all good job.

If anyone reads this thread - if you're able to do a head unit swapover (I can't as the 407's different units are too inter-twined), then I'd strongly advise checking out this unit:

http://www.halfords.ie/sat-nav-audio/car-audio/dab-radios-car-stereos/pioneer-fh-x700bt-double-din-car-cd-player

In my 2004 Toyota Rav4, i thought the sound quality wasn't great. With this head unit, i thought it was fantastic (and I didn't need to change or add speakers to make the jump from lackluster to brilliant, either).

I'm hoping that I soon discover there's something obvious I'm missing with regards to the iO Play 2's appalling sound quality, but at the moment it's looking like a fairly shoddy piece of kit. I'm a very disappointed customer.

Surprised to say the least I bought it as I like my music and find it great in my car. Sound is great for me anyway and Iv never messed with any of the settings. I was recommended this as a one for people using it for music. Iv a htc One not that it matters prob...

I have a surround system in my house at the moment. The front two speakers each have 6 wires connecting them to the main unit.

From my uneducated guesswork, 2 wires are for low, 2 for mid, and 2 for high tones. My iO sounds the same as what these speakers sound like, when you remove the two bass wires (so the speaker is just playing out the high and mid tones).

I will bring it up with Halfords tomorrow when I'm in with them, but I can't say I'm pleased. I tried my own phone (Galaxy Mini 2), Friends phone (Galaxy S3) and my old phone (which has a shattered screen but still works, a Sony Experia J). The Sony phone was able to put a tad more bass into things, but nowhere near as good as it was able to work with the previous car.

Can I ask you, Gavman, on your car, can you actually see the amp/control box itself? On mine, the wires to connect things are in the glovebox, but you can't see the amp/control box anywhere. I'm wondering if perhaps Halfords have locked it away from me, but there are buttons or settings/functions on it that I'm now missing out on?

I would deffo think there is either an install issue or unit itself issue as the sound is really good on mine and any review says the same. I take it it's streaming music you are and not through cable? I had a look there and don't see amp at all say behind radio so don't need to have access I would guess once installed correctly.

Are you, by any chance, anywhere nearby me Gavman, so I could take a look at yours?

As you say yourself, every review is saying great things, but mine is certainly a lackluster experience. I listen to mostly rock music, and I notice that any bass that would have normally shaken the Rav4, is being almost subdued or muted out by the iO Play 2. It's all very tinny or something (the sound).

It's just annoying cos the actual car itself, the CD player and radio, are fine. Really good sound. :confused:

Afraid I'm in cork myself or I'd have no bother showing you how it is in mine. Think your in Louth? Ya I listen to rock myself and no issues blaring out bit of enter sandman or rammstein!!

Well I've let a handful of people listen to it and they all agree that the quality is pretty bad, to the extent that they reckon there's an issue with installation or such (but installation looks fairly straight-forward wire-wise, so i don't know).

I'll get Halfords to look at it tomorrow, and go from there. At least I know I'm not going insane, and there is actually something off about it all.

If halfords dont or can't sort it I would take it to a proper installer and get them to sort it out. I know it's a pain but need it working correctly paid enough for it!!

• Advertisement

Oh if Halford's don't fix it up, I'll bring it to a proper auto electrician, of course. And Halfords can either pay for it, or refund their own fitting fee.

I don't expect they'll try to mess me about though. The chaps working there seem pretty sound and I'm sure it'll be fairly obvious to them, as it was to me, that there must be some issue. No €170 kit can sound as poorly as this does, and especially not one that's 'aimed at music fans' and that hasn't got a bad word about it online.

If they give me any attitude, I'll more than likely end up telling them to pull the whole thing out, though. Seems like it's faulty to me! (and i know they wont want the hassle of removing it, so may just opt to try and fix it for me instead). :)

Advertisement