Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need a new car asap

Options
  • 08-07-2014 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi,
    Hope its OK to post here.

My car packed in last week and need to get a replacement asap.
    I have very little to spend,1500 at most. A 1.4 engine has been my biggest yet, need to keep cost of petrol and tax down. Also need something that is big on enough for car seat.

Would anyone have any recommendations? Find it difficult to know what to check when go to see cars and can't keep calling mechanic friend to look at each car I think will be OK that ends up being a dirt box iykwim.

Tips would be appreciated, have been looking at bangrnomics thread but most are too big.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,404 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd be looking at Japanese stuff with that budget,

What part of the country are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 piafe

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I'd be looking at Japanese stuff with that budget,

What part of the country are you in?

Had a civic before kids came along,I loved it.have been looking at accents due to price not sure if any good though?
    I'm in Dublin. Thanks for reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭newfrontier

its a buyers market at the moment give us some guidelines and you will get some discussion on possible options lots on dd now but you need to watch out for the cowboys... is 1.4 your max engine size? And what year and rough location

its a buyers market at the moment give us some guidelines and you will get some discussion on possible options lots on dd now but you need to watch out for the cowboys... is 1.4 your max engine size? And what year and rough location

That's what I'm afraid of,cowboy.
    1.4 would be the Max,purely for tax reasons. I know I could get diesel and its more economical but from what I think I know,the tax would be higher. The 358tax on 1.4 is highest I could manage.
    I don't mind the year once the cars clean and been looked after,last car was bora 2001 so I'd just like something I won't need to replace within the next 3-4 years at least.

I don't ask for much!

• Advertisement

Don't bother with diesel at that age/budget

great corollas and really good if you want a quick buy but what is the best spend for 1500?

Don't bother with diesel at that age/budget

OK great thanks for that advice. I'll have a look at those corollas and try to arrange to see them. Appreciate that,great prices too.

You kinda have to swallow your pride at that budget. There are way fancier things you can get for the money, but old corollas are very unlikely to go wrong, and if they do a blind monkey could fix them.
    You need to look for rust, but anything with a recent NCT should be ok

• Advertisement

You kinda have to swallow your pride at that budget. There are way fancier things you can get for the money, but old corollas are very unlikely to go wrong, and if they do a blind monkey could fix them.
    You need to look for rust, but anything with a recent NCT should be ok

Yeah I don't mind driving an older reliable car,the other half does but beggars can't b choosers!
    They are definitely worth a look from my perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Corolla really is the best choice if you need a car on a budget.

Thanks new frontier

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Civic or corolla. Pick either and you'll be happy

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Civic or corolla. Pick either and you'll be happy

I'd be delighted to get a civic again but the general consensus seems to favour corollas?

For parts the a Toyota is cheaper and more plentiful - also a bit nippier in 1.4 form. The civic is a grand car though.
    Civic also is dearer to insure, a stupid throwback to the 90s when they were the joyrider/youngfellas weapon of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Mazda 323 might be worth a look too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

I'm a VW man, but €1500 budget petrol Toyota Corolla is you're only man as said before Bulletproof.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Mazda 323 might be worth a look too.

Yep, but 1.5 over the horrid 1.3 SOHC

Great I appreciate all the replies.

think I'll have to veer towards the Toyota so,its a real shame cars show the year on reg,like I said I don't mind but others do!

I've been looking at the Mazda 323 too but couldn't find many around. I love the appearance of them but a solid car is what I'm after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

That 98 corolla with 195k miles sounds a crazy price at €650.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Suzuki Liana? Won't win any beauty contests but should be reliable - timing chain too.

professore wrote: »
    Suzuki Liana? Won't win any beauty contests but should be reliable - timing chain too.

Good call.

professore wrote: »

You're keeping me on my toes tonight! I'll have a look now thanks.
    Hubby just found a Mazda 323 but 1.3 for 1100(2001). He likes the look of it but I'm not biting.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Mitsubishi Lancer:
    31091575.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mitsubishi-lancer-03-tax-nct/7269794

Has a few marks on it and a short NCT but if a mechanic can give it the thumbs up it could be worth a punt.

Advertisement