Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cuba or Barbados for honeymoon

Options
  • 08-07-2014 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, looking at these two destinations for a march honeymoon and would be interested to hear any feedback from anyone whose been to either. Have heard fantastic things about Cuba so interested to hear if Barbados is worth considering too. Would like a beach destination for with water sports but also some culture with towns and villages to visit. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Carlosthejakal

Cannot speak about Cuba, we went to Barbados a few years ago. gad a wonderful time. Sandy Lane was fantastic the island is great. Shopping in Bridgetown is good beaches are lovely nice sand.

All good things and would love to go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

CUBA is much more Intresting amd nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Cuba is nice, but the food is terrible.

Since they import very little they have nothing in the way of spices etc, so pretty much every meal, regardless of what it is, is cooked and seasoned the same.
    It was lovely when I first got there, but a week later I was desperate for something different.

That's the only bad thing I can say about it though.
    Nice people, great weather, beaches, music, cocktails....

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭noanoa

Iv been to both and I would go back to Cuba tomorrow!

Yes food isn't amazing but it is fine, I was expecting something a lot worse from what people said before we went.
    Its a more interesting county and you still have the amazing beaches etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

OP My sis was in Cuba and really enjoyed it although like Bizzyc wasn't impressed with the food but thats the perils of travelling IMO. She was booked into a '5 star' all inclusive resort and she said she might as well have been in Spain with the amount of kids there, plastic glasses, trying to find pool chairs etc. Now that was probably just that resort but still for a supposedly 5 star. I have stayed in 3-4 stars and haven't had that much work!

IMO if you look at the threads on here and WOL everyone seems to be going to Cuba - its the 'in' place which would send me to Barbados to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Have heard about the food all right and wouldn't be put off by that. As for the all inclusive thats kind of why I'm wary of Barbados as I don't want to spend the full holiday in a pretty generic resort. I know in Cuba there's the option of travelling around. I wonder can you do the same in Barbados?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

annoyedgal wrote: »
    Have heard about the food all right and wouldn't be put off by that. As for the all inclusive thats kind of why I'm wary of Barbados as I don't want to spend the full holiday in a pretty generic resort. I know in Cuba there's the option of travelling around. I wonder can you do the same in Barbados?

If you want to know anything about Barbados, I'm your girl! I am a Bajan Brit...

Don't stay on the South Coast (Christchurch, St Michael). That's very touristy. If you want to stay off the beaten track, then head to the Atlantic coast side - St Philip is very popular. Personally, I prefer St Joseph, St Lucy and St John.

Barbados is only 166 sq miles, so very easy to get around. You can hire a taxi to give you a tour of the island. (negotiate any fares/prices in BDS$) Or you can hire a car and explore, yourself. They drive on the left, same as here. A permit costs 10BDS$ and yoiu can get it at the airport or the hire firm will give you one. One tip - NEVER pay for anything in US $, even though it's legal tender there. It marks you as a tourist, and leads to people trying to rip you off...

If there's anything I can help you with or you need to know about Bim, PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

I would pick Barbados. We stayed on the south coast in Hastings and I found it a great area. I would agree with Abajanin and say some of the south coast is touristy ie St Lawrence gap.
    We were near to Bridgetown and the shopping/sightseeing was great. Barbados is very easy to explore, the taxis are very cheap. The reggae/z buses are also alot of fun.
    The beaches are stunning and if you like wildlife its brilliant. We snorkeled the reefs, saw turtles hatch on the beach at night, green monkeys and hummingbirds.
    The food was beautiful. Beware of the rum punch..it tastes too fruity to be alcoholic but is pretty strong. Its delicious though.
    I'm planning to go back next year hopefully. .its paradise.

DON'T go on the ZR's!!! Unless you want a tour of the island for free!!

Thanks for the info guys, great to get some into Barbados, it sounds fantastic. I've heard it's pretty expensive when your there to eat, drink etc. Is that true?

• Advertisement

Not if you go where the Bajan's go to eat. Same as anywhere else really - Just follow the crowds into Swan St and Tim's! :D

Local beer (Carib/Banks) is cheap. And so is the rum! But anything imported (Heiniken is a prime example) works out VERY expensive. Pay for everything in BDS$ and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

annoyedgal wrote: »
    Thanks for the info guys, great to get some into Barbados, it sounds fantastic. I've heard it's pretty expensive when your there to eat, drink etc. Is that true?
    It can be. We only had breakfast at our hotel and ate out for dinner every night. I found dinner and drinks expensive in some restaurants but didn't want to be limited to our hotel by going all inclusive.
    We found the supermarkets expensive for groceries as we bought a few things for our room and lunches out. Alot of food is imported so explains the high price. Food from the island was cheap.
    The shopping in Bridgetown seems to be aimed at cruise ship tourists. Alot of high end jewellery and gem stores with no prices. I was afraid to ask....
    Its great for designer bags, alot cheaper.

Ah - you must travel like a Bajan! What AS says is true. Most foodstuffs are imported hence the relatively high prices...

I normally take over my own tea and coffee. Milk and butter are expensive and aren't so great. Take over some travel wash/washing powder as well.

Don't forget - Hurricane season is from June -Nov. Although Barbados is below sea level and most hurricanes do pass over Barbados, you'll still get the heavy rain, and therefore the humidity. Take mosquito nets, and insect repellant. Buy them at the airport before you leave. Both are very expensive in the WI. Do not store anything in water. Mosquitoes breed in water and there is the threat of dengue fever. This is true of any tropical country. There are heavy fines in Barbados if they catch you keeping water...

Water is safe to drink, but if you prefer bottled, then that's readily available, and cheap to buy.

Don't worry too much about the shops in Broad St. The duty free shopping's great! I get my Tiffany stuff in Little Switzerland, perfume and designer gear much cheaper and DUTY FREE! :D If you want some arts and crafts, then head to Pelican Village, just outside Bridgetown. The traders used to hide from me and my aunt as we used to beat them to death with the prices! :D

Great we're travelling in March so hopefully weather won't be too wet. One last thing, are malaria tablets necessary? Have most of the regular travel shots already. Thanks!

I've never taken them. Nor have I had to have shots. But maybe chat with the GP? And yes - March would be perfect for you to travel. I normally go at Christmas.

Don't forget travel insurance. Make sure it allows you to be repatriated if (God forbid) you need to get home! You really don't want a Dr's bill out there...

Advertisement