Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is putting a newer graphics card into an oldish PC a bad idea?

Options
  • 08-07-2014 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi,
    My computer is pretty decent apart from the graphics card. I really want to play game but find it hard to get them to run because my graphics card isnt very good.

I was wondering if it would be a mistake to just buy a graphics card and just put it into the older computer. I have heard that there can be compatibility issues and I dont want to waste money on a GPU that I cant get to work.

I also tried to install ram into a different (older) before and the computer said it was foreign and refused to start. Would this happen with the GPU too?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Hi,
    My computer is pretty decent apart from the graphics card. I really want to play game but find it hard to get them to run because my graphics card isnt very good.

I was wondering if it would be a mistake to just buy a graphics card and just put it into the older computer. I have heard that there can be compatibility issues and I dont want to waste money on a GPU that I cant get to work.

I also tried to install ram into a different (older) before and the computer said it was foreign and refused to start. Would this happen with the GPU too?

Thanks.

download and run speccy, it will give us the full details of your current system.

Depending on your mobo and psu , you can check your options and go from there. Lots of good gpus that are not that demanding on power or fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Anderson0702

Redfox25 wrote: »
    download and run speccy, it will give us the full details of your current system.

How to I attach the file or whatever you wanted me to do with it?

How to I attach the file or whatever you wanted me to do with it?

cut and paste the info in is the easiest

Advertisement