Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Oil and Filter Change Question

Options
  • 08-07-2014 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭

Can I bring in my own car oil and filter that I have bought to garage? Do any people do this and does the garage just charge for labour then?

I had a full service done last time and just need oil and filter changed this time and I can buy it alot cheaper and good quality in halforrds. The garage charged €65 for the oil and filter and I can buy them in shop for €40.

I don't have the tools to do service myself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kfog

This will depend on the garage, only way to know is to ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Most garages won't have an issue with it. But very often they will increase the labour to offset the loss on the job due to not supplying the parts.

So if for example they would normally charge €60 for parts and €40 for labour, and they have €20 margin on the parts, then their total take from the job is €60.

But if you supply the parts then they are doing the same job for €40, which is 1/3 less.

Not many businesses can afford to take a 1/3 loss in earnings to the only sensible thing for them to do is up the labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭clogher71

If the oil and filter is €40 in halfords, try a motor factors, they should be cheaper again....

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭burke027

clogher71 wrote: »
    If the oil and filter is €40 in halfords, try a motor factors, they should be cheaper again....

You know what ever savings you think ur making your not.because the garage get there oil a hell of a lot cheaper then you do.

So it never works out cheaper. But feel free to bring in your own oil just ask. But om another note hope it's quality oil as a possed some of the stuff out there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

All you need for an oil and filter change is a wrench and a filter removing tool (about €6/7 from micksgarage).
    What kind of car is it. You might be able to save a few more quid on the oil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭burke027

All you need for an oil and filter change is a wrench and a filter removing tool (about €6/7 from micksgarage).

Yes you are correct there.do you know the correct oil for the car. I'm not again people doing there own work on cars but what does get to me is when it goes wrong and then they come and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

Depends on the OP's car but if you go to
    http://www.finol.ie/which-oil/app/
    you can get the spec of oil for your car. A quick phone call to your local motor factors/halfords website and micksgarage for price comparisson and off you go.

This shouldnt be a big deal if the OP has a go at it himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭clogher71

Depends on the OP's car but if you go to
    http://www.finol.ie/which-oil/app/
    you can get the spec of oil for your car. A quick phone call to your local motor factors/halfords website and micksgarage for price comparisson and off you go.

This shouldnt be a big deal if the OP has a go at it himself.

Don't always trust those websites, I have seen them to be incorrect. After all you are on their site, they are not going to say we don't do the correct spec for your car, you have to go somewhere else!!, in that case they give the closest they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

don,t forget about an oil tray for waste oil and gloves to prevent oil getting on hands, plus a few rags to clean up. look at service manual for oil spec and check on oil container, ask some one working with you most are always helpful . just watch and listen to their advice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Halfords are having a sale on oil

• Advertisement
Advertisement