Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which tyres off the internet?

Options
  • 08-07-2014 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭

I looking to order tyres off the internet tonight. I like the look of a few particularly these uni royals

Do about 15k miles a year mostly on motorways and main roads so not sure if a tyre with sport in it's name is the way to go?? It's also FWD 90hp 2.0 TD pacman.gif. Does sport in the name imply a soft compound?

Which one of these would you recommend keeping below the 55 pound mark.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

With a common size like 205/55 16 you are better off shopping around locally unless you have some way of getting the tyres fitted for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

I'd agree with Geroge, if you're sticking to a budget that low and have a tyre size that common, stick local and you'll most likely get an equally as good deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yep 205/55/r16 is one of the most common sized tyres being used so bricks and mortar businesses are very competitively priced when you take buying online and the price of fitting and balancing.

On the other hand, I'm currently buying size 235/40/r18 and being quoted similar prices for budget brands locally as for a premium brand online. Prices increase dramatically locally when it comes to less common sizes and in most cases they don't hold them in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Brian2011

Very reasonably priced tyres on this website oponeo.ie, will take about a week or less to arrive with free delivery

http://www.oponeo.ie/tyre-finder/car/summer-tyres/205-55-r16/2

You should be able to get them fitted in a garage for about €40

Just as an example if you bought a good brand like Hankook off this website which are €66 each it would cost you:

4 x €66 + €40 for fitting = €304, say €310 max

I would think this size tyre in most garages would be about €90 fitted, so 4 x 90 = €360

So your saving would be about €50, not bad but not really great either and more time involved.

If you go for a really cheap brand, which will probably be fine in my opinion, you will save a lot more obviously, probably €100 or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

Brian2011 wrote: »
    Very reasonably priced tyres on this website oponeo.ie, will take about a week or less to arrive with free delivery

Just as an example if you bought a good brand like Hankook off this website which are €66 each it would cost you:

4 x €66 + €40 for fitting = €304, say €310 max

I would think this size tyre in most garages would be about €90 fitted, so 4 x 90 = €360

So your saving would be about €50, not bad but not really great either and more time involved.

If you go for a really cheap brand, which will probably be fine in my opinion, you will save a lot more obviously, probably €100 or more.

U should be able to buy hankooks from a tyre centre for €300 - €310 so I wouldn't bother buying them online

• Advertisement

tazwaz wrote: »
    U should be able to buy hankooks from a tyre centre for €300 - €310 so I wouldn't bother buying them online

Are you sure? That works out at about €75 a tyre, would have though 16" Hankook tyres would be at least €85 at a tyre centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

Are you sure? That works out at about €75 a tyre, would have though 16" Hankook tyres would be at least €85 at a tyre centre.

No, r
    I've been quoted around €80 each but if u were buying 4 i find there's always a deal to be made :-)
    I went with the michelin though and find them brilliant, bit expensive but worth it.

Interslice wrote: »
    I looking to order tyres off the internet tonight. I like the look of a few particularly these uni royals

Just to give you an example. Those Uniroyals will cost you €280 delivered for the set.

So €70 per tyre excluding fitting.
    So somewhere between €80 and €85 each fitted depending on where you go.

But Discount Tyres in Blanchardstown do them for €82 each fitted. So what is the point of buying online?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kfog

I got two tyres in this size recently, pirelli for €80 each fitted, bridgestone were also this price. Hankook and Kuhmo were €75 and sava were €70. The pirelli i got were more expensive to buy online than locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

If you are looking at Uniroyals, get a price from Keith in Discount Tyres - same price as buying via Oponeo and paying for fitting. Got a set of four there last week and going back for two more sets next week (for different cars....)

• Advertisement

Ya you are probably right, but if he really wanted to save he could buy the cheap ones for like €51 a tyre or maybe that would be just risking his life, I really don't know.

What are your opinions on these cheap tyres? Chance them or not? have been tempted to try them myself for the price they are.

Ya you are probably right, but if he really wanted to save he could buy the cheap ones for like €51 a tyre or maybe that would be just risking his life, I really don't know.

What are your opinions on these cheap tyres? Chance them or not? have been tempted to try them myself for the price they are.

Most tyre places can supply and fit a set of 205/55 16 Chinese black round things (wouldn't even call them tyres) for €240 per set or thereabouts.

So no savings to be had by going the online route.

Most tyre places can supply and fit a set of 205/55 16 Chinese black round things (wouldn't even call them tyres) for €240 per set or thereabouts.

So no savings to be had by going the online route.

ok, any ever buy them though and try them out? They can't be that bad can they?

They are brutal, trust me, I know because we sell them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

Hankook are not a good brand!
    ok, any ever buy them though and try them out? They can't be that bad can they?

They are worse than you could imagine;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

pred racer wrote: »

They might be a little bit short of Continental and Michelin but they definitely are a good brand. They wouldn't be an OE supplier otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hankook are a very good mid range tyre and are not to be confused with cheap rubbish like Wanli, Triangles or Sunny.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Hankook are a very good mid range tyre and are not to be confused with cheap rubbish like Wanli, Triangles or Sunny.

I don't agree that hankooks are a good tyre, I had 2 on my car, not impressed. Cornering grip was ok, but traction was ****e, they wore really quickly, I had to replace 1 because of a sidewall puncture and the other one blew out on the motorway.

Way above Chinese black round things, but still not good!

Just to clarify.
    The first comment was about hankook

The second was replying to a comment about Chinese crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

I had to replace 1 because of a sidewall puncture and the other one blew out on the motorway.

Neither of which is a problem with the tyre.

• Advertisement

VeVeX wrote: »
    Neither of which is a problem with the tyre.

I've never had either problem before (except on tyres which were way past their prime ;) ) the sidewall puncture was only a week old and the blowout still had about 3mm of thread on it.

Buy what ye like guys, this is my opinion and I won't be buying them again.

Advertisement