Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions appreciated - Moved into apartment with Prepay Gas and Electricity meters

Options
  • 08-07-2014 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Okay, so...
    Myself and the GF moved into an apartment and we agreed to let the estate agents sign us up to what the previous tenant used - Airtricity. But we mentioned a few times we wouldn't mind, and would like them to, get the meter readings to send on. A few days go by and we don't hear from them, so I ring and we're told, "Oh he couldn't get them."
    Upon investigation we found the 'top up' meters outside the house. I was pretty annoyed but meh!
    Got onto our landlord and he was very angry about the estate agents not telling us this fact. Turned out his previous tenant stopped paying, so airtricity put in a prepay meter. Following? We rang airtricity, electricity sorted no problem but we were told it would cost €200 to swap the gas meter.
    Now, who is responsible to pay for this? We've been living here a month with no hot water! And our Landlord says no problem I'm fighting this and giving a stern talking to the Estate Agents. I reckon it would've been sorted 2 weeks ago if he'd just give in and pay.
    I just believe we started out wanting to sign up for billpay gas, and because of HIS previous tenant, this has come about. Neither he nor the estate agents are telling us WE have to pay, but he doesn't seem to want to pay either.
    Anybody experience this? Thank God we've an electric shower.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Ravenid

Was the Gas supply mentioned in your rental agreement?

If so its up to the Landlord to sort this issue within a reasonable timeframe.
    Send a letter to both the landlord and the Estate Agent putting your foot down.

If they are dealing with this then there should be correspondents between the Gas supplier and the LL/Estate Agent. Ask that you be included in all future dealings. But remember he isn't fixing this himself. The Gas supplier is and he might be getting the run around from them too. If he is trying and its the supplier holding things up you can put more pressure on the supplier to get this fixed by coming onboard with the LL.
    If he isn't you'll see right away and he wont have any excuse.

Keep a record of all exchanges between yourself and the LL and if you believe he just giving you the run around raise a complaint with the PTRB.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 DOSmann

Nothing about the gas or electricity prepay meters were mentioned, and in fact the estate agents offered to take meter readings for us (which were obviously not possible) so we were lead to believe it was billpay meters in the apartment.

There is definite correspondence but nothing seemed to happen until we rang one or the other. Rang Airtricity today though, and I said I'm the billpayer and I would like to know exactly how the phonecalls have been going between themselves and the landlord, as I'm confused as to why it hasn't been resolved. Was told the agent dealing with the issue has to "listen back to the phonecalls" and ring me back today or tomorrow, even though the landlord told me yesterday Airtricity WILL ring me today.

What exactly do the PTRB do with these complaints, might I ask? Are they just there to smack landlords about who act the maggot?
    I would like to point out other than this he has been great!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,271 ✭✭✭✭ted1

the landlord should have deducted the costs of taking out the meters from the tenants deposit.

Other than badger the landlord i don't think that there is much you can do.

have you checked to ensure that there is no outstanding balance owed on the meter and that its not deducting it from your top ups

We moved in at the weekend and the power went out on the GF on the Monday when she got home, there was money being deducted from the first few top ups but I presume that was from using power at the weekend.
    As regards the gas which is the problem now, we just haven't switched it on. Boiler won't even stay on anyway, so there's nothing in there.
    Just had a call from Airtricity saying they're having trouble with the call logs to listen back through phonecalls with previous tenant.... Since last Tuesday.......... So they've to listen to those and get back to me \ landlord...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Call log with previous tenants are irrelevant. You don't inherit their debts. I would be fuming if I moved into a rental with those bs meters.

• Advertisement

At time of moving in I got a new job, also so I'm not home much. So the GF is left to deal with everything usually and it's not fair.
    But could they not just say to us, "There're prepay meters there, that's that. Tough luck."
    The estate agent and landlord are on to me serperately now blaming each other too. I'm just sick of it. My day off n all :(

But the fact that the meter is there, I think they are trying to figure out wether the tenant agreed over the phone to have these meters put in, or did they do it themselves because of his arrears. And leaving us in the ****. Thank Christ the weather's good since we mov

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

From previous threads on this forum, both the Gas and Electricity supplier need the home owners permission to replace the meters with pre-paid ones. Since they didn't get that, it is their responsibility to replace them.

So the tenant's permission is not enough?

And wahey the girl from Airtricity promised she'd ring me back before she finished today... Which is at half four... Wonder will she call in the next five minutes...

• Advertisement

Guessing she hasn't called.

Forgot to update, she called and said the "system was down" so they couldn't listen back to the call from the previous tenant. Landlord said it was to see if he was advised to get the new meter or not. I was promised a call again tomorrow to resolve it. I can't see any difference. What are my options, really?
    I'd not like to make any sort of dispute with the landlord. Other than this, he's a great guy! And I'd a fear when first moving out after reading some horror stories about landlords. Both landlords and tenants get a lot of stick from each other!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

DOSmann wrote: »
    the "system was down" so they couldn't listen back to the call from the previous tenant.
    The recording doesn't exist is more likely. Most companies mention when you call that "your call may be recorded for training and quality purposes" (emphasis mine), but the reality is that the odds are against it. The software/hardware used to record the calls is an expense. The storage is an expense. Getting people to listen to and evaluate the calls is an expense. Call Centres are all about reducing expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

energy providers cannot leave a house without power/heating as far as I understand if there is a kid in the house. Anyhow its not your problem the debt isn't with you so demand it be removed by the energy providers. Also tell the landlord this is not exceptable and he either sorts it within the next two days.

No kids here we're only in our 20's but Result! Got a call today saying they're coming out Monday (my day off) to switch it out, and that €198 will show up on the bill but there will also be a "good will" thing to say - €198. Would be a balls if that still came out as I believe we'd be a while trying to get it back. I just don't trust 'em!
    Funnily enough though we'd a letter from them saying we were €1.37 in arrears? Don't understand how since we had the top up meter. Once again we'll have to ring... They're not even getting that little bit from us...

No kids here we're only in our 20's but Result! Got a call today saying they're coming out Monday (my day off) to switch it out, and that €198 will show up on the bill but there will also be a "good will" thing to say - €198. Would be a balls if that still came out as I believe we'd be a while trying to get it back. I just don't trust 'em!
    Funnily enough though we'd a letter from them saying we were €1.37 in arrears? Don't understand how since we had the top up meter. Once again we'll have to ring... They're not even getting that little bit from us...

Hope you get this sorted and don't have to pay the €198 that would be about 5 moths for me in summer.

They rang me and asked to discuss the customer review I left them on the automated phonecall to me from the other day, today. Dear God.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Dee5

That money that was deducted from the first few top ups could also be the arrears that the previous tenant is paying.
    I have the pre pay meters and am paying back arrears on a previous bill. Hence why I am on Prepay now :)

Anyway when I top up they take 25% of the amount I've topped towards my arrears and the rest is credit to be used.
    So, if I top up by €20, €5 goes straigh off the arrears and I have €15 worth of electricity. HTH

ps It'll show up on the receipt you got if anything went to arrears

• Registered Users Posts: 23,271 ✭✭✭✭ted1

There's a daily standing charge of something like 37 cents a day.

ted1 wrote: »
    There's a daily standing charge of something like 37 cents a day.

That makes no sense. It was a prepay meter?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

From previous threads on this forum, both the Gas and Electricity supplier need the home owners permission to replace the meters with pre-paid ones. Since they didn't get that, it is their responsibility to replace them.

Do you have a link to those threads or information on that?
    I'm interested to hear this, I think the whole thread is useful for both tenants (prospective or existing who have experienced this) AND landlords who may have not given permission to change a meter over.
    energy providers cannot leave a house without power/heating as far as I understand if there is a kid in the house. Anyhow its not your problem the debt isn't with you so demand it be removed by the energy providers. Also tell the landlord this is not exceptable and he either sorts it within the next two days.

Would this be considered that they aren't leaving the house without power? I completely sympathise with the OP or someone getting the power cut, but Im sure Ive heard of this happening myself, rarely but still. Obviously this isnt the OPs problem, but I empathise with the landlord in this situation. Having attempted to resolve a previous tenants problems before I have given different answers, from, it isnt my account so I cant be dealt with, to if I pay it then I can have my account started and sorted. In that situation I declined and changed providers as the bill and arrears was not in my name, but in that situation there was no prepay meter.
    I think the landlord should have added some weight to the argument and presented themselves in a better light by pressing airtricity if they did not give permission for the meter/s?

All seems fine now, bar the fact that the thermostat, when switched to anything but off, let's the water and radiators get as hot as possible... Boiling! Landlord was here today and when I mentioned it he just said, "That's just the set up. Won't be nuffin done about that."
    Is this right???

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

All seems fine now, bar the fact that the thermostat, when switched to anything but off, let's the water and radiators get as hot as possible... Boiling! Landlord was here today and when I mentioned it he just said, "That's just the set up. Won't be nuffin done about that."
    Is this right???

Do they eventually switch off when it reaches the thermostat temperature, or not until you turn it off? Doesn't sound right if not at all. Try setting the thermostat at below the ambient temperature and see if the heating comes on at all.

Advertisement