Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor tax - is there 2 bands for 2008

Options
  • 08-07-2014 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys
    Are there 2 bands of tax for 2008, Say like the old system and the new system that works on co2's

Got this "Private Cars registered before 1 July 2008 - Rates from 1 October 2013" from here http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/MotorTaxRates/MotorTaxRatesBasedonEngineSize/

Take for example a 2008 Citreon Zsara 1.6(1587 cc) Petrol Registered in jan 08 With c02's of 172 g/km- because this car is reg before JULY, i'd only have to pay €514 as opposed to Same car registered in July 2008 the tax would be €750... Am i right in thinking that can any one confirm...Much Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I beleive that for the first 6 months of 2008 a car could go onto whichever band was more beneficial to them. From July onwards all cars were taxed based on co2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

Yup, my friend has an early 2008 reg Mercedes E200 which has 1.8l tax (about 600). Later ones are based on CO2 so over 1000 to tax. Massive difference in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

If you import a 2008 car it will also get the cheapest of the two tax rates regardless of when it was first registered.

I'm wrong.

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/co2_emissions_rates_2009_en.pdf

"A private car first registered abroad between 1 January 2008 and 30 June 2008
    inclusive and subsequently registered in Ireland will be taxed on whichever is the lesser
    of the motor tax rates based engine (cc) or CO2 emissions.

A private car first registered abroad after 1 July 2008 and subsequently registered in
    Ireland will be taxed on the CO2 rate. "

I could've sworn I read differently somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭gazzaman22

Caliden wrote: »
    If you import a 2008 car it will also get the cheapest of the two tax rates regardless of when it was first registered.

Anybody know the reason as to why this is... I'm not complaining...Just wondering

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Cars originally registered here between Jan 1st 2008 and June 30th 2008 had the option of going on whichever system was cheaper. Cars first registered here from July 1st 2008 were automatically put on the Co2 tax system. All 2008 or newer imports are put on the Co2 motor tax system these days.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Cars originally registered here between Jan 1st 2008 and June 30th 2008 had the option of going on whichever system was cheaper. Cars first registered here from July 1st 2008 were automatically put on the Co2 tax system. All 2008 or newer imports are put on the Co2 motor tax system these days.

Oh! So you reckon that if i import an 2008 Zsara i'll be forced into the dearer tax, and a 2007 yolk will be cheaper to tax

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

gazzaman22 wrote: »
    Oh! So you reckon that if i import an 2008 Zsara i'll be forced into the dearer tax, and a 2007 yolk will be cheaper to tax
    Yep.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/motor_tax_and_insurance/motor_tax_rates.html
    New cars registered between January 2008 and June 2008 had their motor tax charged on the basis of engine size initially. If it was beneficial for those cars to switch to the CO2 based motor tax system, this happened on the first renewal of motor tax after June 2008. The CO2 based system does not apply to second-hand imports that were registered abroad prior to 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yes, which is why nobody would bothers much importing post 2007 petrol cars.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,932 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I don't believe that's the case.
    I had enquired about importing an Evo X last year and was told that it would be the lower rate if the car was registered abroad in the first 6 months.

Here ya go:

http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/
    Cars Registered Outside of Ireland
    A private car first registered abroad prior to 1 January 2008 will always be taxed on engine size (c.c.). The CO2 based motor tax system does not apply to second-hand imports that were registered abroad prior to 2008.
    A private car first registered abroad between 1 January 2008 and 30 June 2008 inclusive and subsequently registered in Ireland will be taxed on whichever is the lesser of the motor tax rates based on engine size (c.c.) or CO2 emissions. The comparison is based on the motor tax rates as of 1 December 2011.
    A private car first registered abroad after 1 July 2008 and subsequently registered in Ireland will be taxed on CO2 emissions.

mik_da_man wrote: »
    I don't believe that's the case.
    I had enquired about importing an Evo X last year and was told that it would be the lower rate if the car was registered abroad in the first 6 months.

Here ya go:

Wonder could i get a definitive answer on this... Any body know who i'd contact?

Thanks for all the answers again guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭ei9go

But

The VRT rate will be based on the co2 emissions for all of 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Wonder could i get a definitive answer on this... Any body know who i'd contact?

Thanks for all the answers again guys

Seems pretty definitive to me.

Foreign cars registered abroad before 01/01/08 --> Engine size only
    Foreign cars registered abroad between 01/01/08 - 30/06/08--> Engine size or CC which ever is cheapest based on 2011 tax rates.
    Foreign cars registered abroad from 01/07/08 --> CO2 only

From the link provided by mik_da_man
    Cars Registered Outside of Ireland

A private car first registered abroad prior to 1 January 2008 will always be taxed on engine size (c.c.). The CO2 based motor tax system does not apply to second-hand imports that were registered abroad prior to 2008.
    A private car first registered abroad between 1 January 2008 and 30 June 2008 inclusive and subsequently registered in Ireland will be taxed on whichever is the lesser of the motor tax rates based on engine size (c.c.) or CO2 emissions. The comparison is based on the motor tax rates as of 1 December 2011.
    A private car first registered abroad after 1 July 2008 and subsequently registered in Ireland will be taxed on CO2 emissions.

The aim of the new motor tax system is to encourage the use of smaller, cleaner, fuel-efficient cars in the fight against climate change by reducing the emission of carbon dioxide (CO2) from cars to help protect the environment and improve local air quality.

Advertisement