Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How do you calculate Dry Weather Flow for Assimilation Capacity of a River?

Options
  • 08-07-2014 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,
    I have been trying to find out how to determine the dry weather flow from a river flow dataset. I thought from some reading that this was the same as the 98th percentile flow of the river but I am not sure this is correct.

I would be grateful if anyone could correct me.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Thomasofmel

The Dry Weather Flow (DWF) is defined as the annual minimum daily mean flow rate with a return period of 50 years. The DWF is a statistical measure of low flow and usually requires reliable long term low flow data or sufficient information that would allow the estimation of the DWF. It should normally be based on long term records of flow data. In the absence of processed flow data, it is not possible to use the records to calculate a dry weather flow and, in their absence, recourse has been made to best estimates based on measured flows.

Investigations of low flow data indicate that in large areas of the country, the return period of the 1976 drought had a return period of about 50 years.

Advertisement