Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone help me find a peace commissioner?

Options
  • 08-07-2014 9:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

I've been looking for a peace commissioner to sign a parking permit. I've called to two garda stations but they could not help me. I've searched for a list online but I don't think one exists. Why are peace commissions needed and why do they not want to be contacted?
    Lastly if anyone knows one can they point me in the right direct please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,228 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I'm looking into getting this permit for a car too, it really is ridiculous. Would it be easier to go on the electoral register instead of this peace commissioner stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Have you looked at Golden Pages? I think Commissioners for Oaths are much the same thing but I could be wrong.

Found this guy by googling
    http://www.commissionerforoaths.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Fergal Dennehy..

He sorted another user here just a few weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

KIERAN BARRETT , Orchard bar. BALLINLOUGH.
    owner and a PC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Thanks for the help so far
    I've tried Donal Forde he seems too busy. No answer from Fergal Dennehys mobile yet. I called the Orchard bar but there is something wrong with the phone, someone answers but they can't hear me and there are lots of beeping noises.
    I still don't see what purpose peace commissioners server other than being masters of evasion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

You could try Tom O' Driscoll.

He's also a Peace Commissioner.

Got it sorted at last, thanks lads.
    Not saying who because it was a negative experience.
    He made sure to remind me that he was also a commissioner of oaths and could charge me €20 if he wanted but was was generous enough to do me a favor. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

tuxy wrote: »
    Got it sorted at last, thanks lads.
    Not saying who because it was a negative experience.
    He made sure to remind me that he was also a commissioner of oaths and could charge me €20 if he wanted but was was generous enough to do me a favor. :rolleyes:

How is that a negative experience? He was perfectly entitled to charge you. In fact nearly all Peace Commissioners will charge people who come in off the street and arent existing clients. He saved you €20. You should probably be a bit grateful.

Hogzy wrote: »
    How is that a negative experience? He was perfectly entitled to charge you. In fact nearly all Peace Commissioners will charge people who come in off the street and arent existing clients. He saved you €20. You should probably be a bit grateful.

But peace commissioners should not charge and should be reported for doing so.

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Peace_commissioners
    Peace commissioners are not entitled to charge or receive for their own benefit any fee or compensation from members of the public.

I don't think you know exactly what a peace commissioner is. ( I don't either )

Actually this is more relevant.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/civil_law/commissioners_for_oaths.html
    A Commissioner for Oaths, who is also a Peace Commissioner, must not charge fees for administering oaths or taking declarations or affirmations that they are required by law not to charge for as a Peace Commissioner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭kaerobe

Yes go to a Peace Commissioner, save yourself the money. Entirely illegal for a PC to charge. Commissioner of Oaths on the other hand can.

For future Ref:

Callie Walsh Passage West - 0861077248 (highly recommend, one of the few female PC's around)
    Maurice Lynch Carrigaline - 0879840037

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Plus 1 for Callie Walsh

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

Thanks to this thread and 2 names I got from my local citizen information centre here in Galway I found a guy who isn't charging. I phoned one guy first and I asked him does he charge. I then said that the form I have had to be signed by a peace commissioner or commissioner for oaths. He then said €10 would cover it. I rang someone else and I first asked them were they a peace commissioner and they said yes. I then said, there is no charge for that sure there isn't and your man said there wouldn't be.
    Anyway a bit of info and shopping around saved me €10 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Stugots

Shortly after moving back from abroad, I went to the Garda station near the Coal Quay to get the form for my passport renewal signed. The Garda on the desk said he couldn't sign it because he didn't know me and referred me instead to a Commissioner of Oaths who he knew would also not know me but would sign it 'no problem'.

Makes a joke of the whole thing really!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Bone

tuxy wrote: »
    I've been looking for a peace commissioner to sign a parking permit. I've called to two garda stations but they could not help me. I've searched for a list online but I don't think one exists. Why are peace commissions needed and why do they not want to be contacted?
    Lastly if anyone knows one can they point me in the right direct please.

I don't think you need the Peace Commissioner anymore they have loosened the rules recently. My last renewal was much easier. Ring them to check

Advertisement