Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Stouts

Options
  • 07-07-2014 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Any good recommendations? Not just Stouts, Dark beers in general, eg Brown Ales or Porters.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

perth112 wrote: »
    Any good recommendations?

O'Haras Leann Follain

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Pint bottles of Guinness were great back in the day but they don't do them anymore, however there is a substitute O Sheas Irish stout in ALDI. If you drink it out of the bottle you will never have a hangover no matter how much you drink :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Guinness: stout, Extra Stout, Foreign Extra Stout
    Beamish
    Murphy's
    Carlow Brewing Company: O'Hara's Stout, Leann Folláin
    8 Degrees: Knockmealdown Porter
    White Gypsy: Russian Imperial Stout
    Galway Bay: Stormy Port and Buried At Sea
    Dungarvan Brewing Company: Black Rock Irish Stout
    Porterhouse: Plain Porter, Oyster Stout, Wrasslers Stout, Braon Blasta
    Brú Brewery: Brú Dubh
    West Kerry Brewery/Beor Chorca Dhuibhne: Carraig Dubh
    Trouble Brewing: Dark Arts Porter

They're all good. What have I missed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Pint bottles of Guinness were great back in the day but they don't do them anymore,

When did they stop? It's only weeks since i had one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 perth112

Pint bottles of Guinness were great back in the day but they don't do them anymore, however there is a substitute O Sheas Irish stout in ALDI. If you drink it out of the bottle you will never have a hangover no matter how much you drink :)

You Can still get the Pint bottles in some Pubs and Bars, but they are getting scarce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Why would you want a pint bottle instead of a pint of draught in a pub?

An File wrote: »
    Guinness: stout, Extra Stout, Foreign Extra Stout
    Beamish
    Murphy's
    Carlow Brewing Company: O'Hara's Stout, Leann Folláin
    8 Degrees: Knockmealdown Porter
    White Gypsy: Russian Imperial Stout
    Galway Bay: Stormy Port and Buried At Sea
    Dungarvan Brewing Company: Black Rock Irish Stout
    Porterhouse: Plain Porter, Oyster Stout, Wrasslers Stout, Braon Blasta
    Brú Brewery: Brú Dubh
    West Kerry Brewery/Beor Chorca Dhuibhne: Carraig Dubh
    Trouble Brewing: Dark Arts Porter

They're all good. What have I missed?
    Thanks for that, I'd love to try the Russian Imperial.

The Guinnes in the pint bottle is Extra Stout, it can be a little nicer than the Draught Guinness sometimes. The Gunniess in the bottles is also lightly carbonated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

perth112 wrote: »
    The Guinnes in the pint bottle is Extra Stout, it can be a little nicer than the Draught Guinness sometimes. The Guinness in the bottles is also lightly carbonated.

A little fizzy? I only tried Guinness the once about a year ago, really did not like it at all. Might be interesting to try it if its a bit fizzy.

A little fizzy? I only tried Guinness the once about a year ago, really did not like it at all. Might be interesting to try it if its a bit fizzy.
    I prefer the Extra Stout. Its nice a little fizzy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,185 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Note that bottles of Extra Stout are available in many supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,185 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

It's a different drink, really.

It's a lovely beer.

It's not creamy, like the draught.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

It doesn't have the nitro head.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

Franciscan Well Shandon Stout

2536_003_Franciscan_Well.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

There's a cool coincidence. I've been drinking one of those tonight! ^

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Unless you have a peer reviewed study to back up that claim please don't post such nonsense here again.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

For the same reason someone might want a bottle of diet sprite rather than a splash/"draught" glass of fanta. -both quite different drinks from the same manufacturer.

Some "guinness drinkers" I know baulk at a sip of bottled extra stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Glebee

rubadub wrote: »
    For the same reason someone might want a bottle of diet sprite rather than a splash/"draught" glass of fanta. -both quite different drinks from the same manufacturer.

Some "guinness drinkers" I know baulk at a sip of bottled extra stout.

I for one would only drink pints of Guinness. Would not be fond of large bottles of Guinness. Completely different drink. The ordinary O Haras large bottles are all right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

O'Haras Leann Follain

Am I the only one who isn´t a massive fan of this? I´ll drink it all right but it´s far too bitter for my taste.

Am I the only one who isn´t a massive fan of this? I´ll drink it all right but it´s far too bitter for my taste.

Id nearly prefer the ordinary O Haras..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Leann Follain would be my favorite Irish Stout.
    With the West Kerry Brewery Stout a close second.

Then cask Leann Follain up in whiskey casks and I'm in heaven.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Glebee wrote: »
    I for one would only drink pints of Guinness. Would not be fond of large bottles of Guinness. Completely different drink. The ordinary O Haras large bottles are all right.

Guinness without the added nitro is surely the more 'authentic' variety. But perhaps that's not what you're looking for.

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Guinness without the added nitro is surely the more 'authentic' variety. But perhaps that's not what you're looking for.

Authentic or not. Just not to my tastes i suppose. Dont get me wrong im willing to try anything but large bottles of stout would probally be a last resort for me:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

I'm not the biggest fan either. I much prefer the standard O'Haras, Dark Arts & Stormy Port.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

yeah, I'm not totally gone on LF either, it's nice and I'd drink it, but it's way too full on for more than a couple.

I also prefer DA and Sweetman's Porter

I'd have Leann Folláin all day, err day. Definitely my top pick for Irish stouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Maynard

I love LF.

But I haven't tasted a better stout than the Porterhouse's Celebration Stout.

Absolutely magnificent.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

Beamish is the only man. Although I've never had it outside of Cork boy ;0)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Passenger wrote: »
    Franciscan Well Shandon Stout

I was scrolling down with a smile on my face until I came across 'Jameson'. I've tried a few whisky aged things before and they're just not for me. Do you like whisky? I'd love to have the palate for these things but they're just beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

I was scrolling down with a smile on my face until I came across 'Jameson'. I've tried a few whisky aged things before and they're just not for me. Do you like whisky? I'd love to have the palate for these things but they're just beyond me.

I wouldn't say that a predilection for whiskey would be a prerequisite, just to enjoy stout in all its varying flavours.

Advertisement