Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I go with a Medical Degree?

Options
  • 07-07-2014 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭

This may be the wrong place to post this thread but I wasn't sure where else to post it! Mods, please move it if you think there might be somewhere better for it!

Basically, I'm planning on doing medicine after my leaving cert (I know I might change my mind, but regardless it's the plan for now) and I'm just wondering what my options will be after I get my degree.

A big priority of mine is travelling. I love the idea of working abroad and living in loads of different countries throughout my life. From the United States to France to Japan to Mali to everywhere! So I'm wondering where can I work with my medical degree?

I assume that an Irish medical degree will be the same as any other? From what I gathered from online, I can work in the US if I take my Boards exam. Is this correct? And if so, is it a similar type of system with other countries?

Also I understand that I have to do an internship year after my completion of my medicine course. Does this have to be taken at an Irish hospital for me to be registered with the Irish board or can it be in any country?

Thanks for any help or advice you can offer! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

You can work in the UK, Australia and New Zealand without having to do any extra exams. A lot of European and especially Scandinavian countries all quite possible with a bit of work. Japan is pretty much impossible I think but there are lots of western doctors working in the bigger Chinese cities accommodating for expats, which is probably something that'll grow in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ian5005

Unfortunately, in Japan you would need to obtain a JLPT N1(proficiency test) standard of japanese and pass an exam to get a medical licence(aswell as having an irish medical licence of course) , also the japanese probably would'nt be too trusting of westerners when it comes to health unfortunately. I'm sure theres plenty of other countries that would gladly accept someone with a medical degree

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

ian5005 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, in Japan you would need to obtain a JLPT N1(proficiency test) standard of japanese and pass an exam to get a medical licence(aswell as having an irish medical licence of course) , also the japanese probably would'nt be too trusting of westerners when it comes to health unfortunately. I'm sure theres plenty of other countries that would gladly accept someone with a medical degree
    Well that's probably Japan out then :p I didn't really consider the language barrier actually! I can always travel there though!

Thanks for the info guys! :)

Advertisement