Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not sure what server would use this - sun-manageconsole

Options
  • 07-07-2014 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hello

Came across a server with port 878 with sun-manageconsole listening on it. Anyone know what type of O/S would be hosting such an application? Solaris? I assume sun-manageconole is an admin console of some sort?

j

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

jcorr wrote: »
    Hello

Came across a server with port 878 with sun-manageconsole listening on it. Anyone know what type of O/S would be hosting such an application? Solaris? I assume sun-manageconole is an admin console of some sort?

j

A sun server seems logical.

Do you know that it is sun-manageconsole from nmap? Nmap often reports what that port 'usually' uses, but thats not to say thats whats actually running.

For example as a quick test I put netcat running on port 12345 and port scanned the local host with nmap and got the following results:
    [root@newgrange ~]# nc -l 12345

Starting Nmap 6.01 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2014-07-07 21:50 IST
    Nmap scan report for localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1)
    Host is up (0.0000070s latency).
    Not shown: 992 closed ports
    PORT      STATE SERVICE
    22/tcp    open  ssh
    25/tcp    open  smtp
    53/tcp    open  domain
    111/tcp   open  rpcbind
    631/tcp   open  ipp
    3001/tcp  open  nessus
    6667/tcp  open  irc
    12345/tcp open  netbus

Netbus isnt running, nmap is reporting it as such.

If I were you I would set up a packet sniffer, connect to it with netcat and send some data and a few return carriages and see what it returns.

Or, if you have access log into that system and see whats running on that port.

Or run a OS fingerprinting scan from nmap and see if you can determine whether it is a sun machine, and if not report it to the InfoSec team / internal IT.

Advertisement