Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bird of prey identity

Options
  • 07-07-2014 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭

This bird was in my friends chicken coup over weekend. Buzzards and eagles are common here (southern poland), but this doesn't look like either.
    My first guess is a sparrow hawk but it seems too big!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

snaps wrote: »
    This bird was in my friends chicken coup over weekend. Buzzards and eagles are common here (southern poland), but this doesn't look like either.
    My first guess is a sparrow hawk but it seems too big!

Need more info. Size and colour. Also did it kill any chickens

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

OK seems my photo attachment from mobile isn't shown.......
    Switched to full site and think attachment is now there!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Goshawk I'd say!

Goshawk I'd say!

Arent goshawks more grey silver all over body?

Yes it killed some chickens. It was released and a new mesh was put over chicken house roof.

Arent goshawks more grey silver all over body?

Yes it killed some chickens. It was released and a new mesh was put over chicken house roof.

Dude that's a goshawk. Where in the hell did that pop up? Did it have any tags or bells on it.
    Possible falconers bird if so.
    If not then you have found a part of a small number if wild goshawks in Ireland.
    My favourite bird of prey. Imagine a sparrowhawk but bigger and more aggressive. a female goshawk can take a fully grown hare. Seen my mates ake crows, cock pheasants and a hare before. Amazing birds

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

If not then you have found a part of a small number if wild goshawks in Ireland.

Is OP not in southern Poland?

Is OP not in southern Poland?

I just seen that in his post.
    My bad.
    Get so excited when I hear of goshawks about :D

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

Nice goshawk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

Goshawk common in Poland.

Goshawk common in Poland.

Yes. Southern poland in tatra mountains. I moved here last year from mayo for my sins.

Eagles and buzzards extremely common here. This fella got into the chicken cage through the metal mesh (large square) roof. He killed a few chickens and struggled to get out. My friend grabbed him and allowed a few photos.
    He got quite badly cut on his arms from the talons.
    He was released after a minute and flew off.
    The wildlife here is amazing but I've never seen this guy before.

• Advertisement

Yeah they'll leave some bad marks alright. I've still scars on my arm from my first FHH

Yes. Southern poland in tatra mountains. I moved here last year from mayo for my sins.

Eagles and buzzards extremely common here. This fella got into the chicken cage through the metal mesh (large square) roof. He killed a few chickens and struggled to get out. My friend grabbed him and allowed a few photos.
    He got quite badly cut on his arms from the talons.
    He was released after a minute and flew off.
    The wildlife here is amazing but I've never seen this guy before.
    I was in Biebrza national park early in May. Great for raptors. Saw Marsh harrier, montagu harrier, Sea Eagle, Lesser Spotted Eagle, possible Greater Spotted Eagle, Buzzard, Peregrines, kestrel. Didn't see Goshawk though. Easier to see Goshawk when they are displaying in early spring.

I was in Biebrza national park early in May. Great for raptors. Saw Marsh harrier, montagu harrier, Sea Eagle, Lesser Spotted Eagle, possible Greater Spotted Eagle, Buzzard, Peregrines, kestrel. Didn't see Goshawk though. Easier to see Goshawk when they are displaying in early spring.

Yes the wildlife here is very varied and different to the west of Ireland. We have a resident Golden Eagle in our forest, Common Buzzards, Kestrels, Red starts, storks, Jays, Fieldfares, Marsh tits. Further up the mountains, Brown bears (Mainly on Slovakian side), Wolves, Lynx, Wild cats.

Yes the wildlife here is very varied and different to the west of Ireland. We have a resident Golden Eagle in our forest, Common Buzzards, Kestrels, Red starts, storks, Jays, Fieldfares, Marsh tits. Further up the mountains, Brown bears (Mainly on Slovakian side), Wolves, Lynx, Wild cats.
    Poland is a great place for wildlife. The Polish people take great pride in protecting rare and threatened species like Aquatic warbler and great snipe. Makes you realise how backward Ireland is protecting threatened habitats and threatened wildlife.......

A couple more photos of the Goshawk

Looks like a Finnish

Looks like a Finnish
    Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Why?

Finnish are slightly larger but this bird looks no bigger than usual to me.

It looks like male but a large one at that compare to hands holding it.
    Could be wrong but just my opinion on it havin seen my fair share of gos

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

Goshawk definitely, brave man to handle it without gloves. Serious power in their talons, not just the sharp talons themselves but the crushing power when they get a grip is no joke.

• Advertisement
Advertisement