Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Felt B2 vs Cervelo P3 Advice

Options
  • 07-07-2014 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I know these type questions constantly pop up but just thought I’d throw this out there for those more experienced and better in the know than me.

Currently racing on a Felt B2 54" (bought start 2013). Have done a few sprints/oly’s and 3 HIM’s on it. Lovely bike and can’t fault it in any way.

My issue is than I think the 54" frame may be a tad on the small size - I’m 5 11. Had a professional fit last year and he did say I was upper end for that size frame. (I know cart before horse!!)

My plan for late next year is to go long and I’m concerned that I may not be comfortable enough for a 180km cycle(not that 180k should be comfortable). I feel my upper body is over the head unit and therefore puts a lot of pressure on shoulders etc and strain on neck due to my position. At the end of the HIM I do be glad to be getting off. Do regular 100-120km spins on it however would not be down on bars for whole spin (prob 70%)due to cars/roads etc. Due to being at the upper end of frame there is not much more room for adjustments etc.

Maybe this is just the way it’s meant to be on TT bikes but looking at potentially changing bike/frame. May purchase new frame and transfer components.

Looking to keep to same grade bike and have seen some 2013 Cervelo P3’s (56") on sale.
    Has anybody any experience of the Cervelo P3 Vs Felt B2? Thoughts? Recommendations?

I will go to professional fitter before I purchase however thought I throw some feelers out first.

Thanks and apologies about long winded question.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I was on a B2 also and it was too small. The fitter I went to told me so but he fitted me as best he could. I did an IM on it without any major issues. I then switched to a frame that he said was my size. I noticed the difference straight away. It was a lot more comfortable and just felt better. IMO, if you can afford it I'd go with a frame that fits you. The last thing you want is sore shoulders or a stiff lower back because of a frame that's too small.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

We're about the same size and I'm on a 54, have never noticed any issues

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I'd echo everything Gibbo has said, but I would also say that a 54 TT bike doesn't sound too small for someone your height. Maybe get a second opinion before splashing out a couple of grand on a new frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

what lenght of stem do you use ?
    what cervelo p3 are you talking about ( new or old version )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

I'm the same height as you OP also with a 54cm Felt tt bike and it's perfect. I got a fit on it post purchase too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

peter kern wrote: »
    what lenght of stem do you use ?
    what cervelo p3 are you talking about ( new or old version )

The stem looks to be a 100mm one. From what I remember during the fit brought the angle of stem up to make me shorter if that makes sence.
    Going by responses above I'm on the right size frame.
    Was thinking maybe the 2012 p3

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i'm 6'1, and on a 56 slice,which aren't very stretched out. have you asked the fitter where you would sit on the size range for the 56? you might be on the big side for the 54 but small for the 56.

mossym wrote: »
    i'm 6'1, and on a 56 slice,which aren't very stretched out. have you asked the fitter where you would sit on the size range for the 56? you might be on the big side for the 54 but small for the 56.

No haven't booked an appointment yet. Was more thinking towards next season, doing shadowman in a few weeks and will then be parking Bike for DCM so no major panic.
    Might be worth seeing what type & size frame fitter recommends first.
    Wouldn't do for me to invest in a 56 and come back saying feels too big!!

where are you based, you're welcome to try the 56 to see how you feel on it. not a p3 but might give you an idea

mossym wrote: »
    where are you based, you're welcome to try the 56 to see how you feel on it. not a p3 but might give you an idea

Cheers thanks for the offer but I'm out west. Might be somebody in club who's bike I could try.
    Might also be a case if bad workman blaming tools..

• Advertisement

There's a lot more to it than frame size. Stack and reach are key which I guess is why Peter was asking about stem length. Just because 2 people are the same height doesn't necessarily mean the same bike will suit them both. Leg length, torso length and flexibility will play an important role.

Have a look at the stack and reach articles over on ST.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭ray o

pgibbo wrote: »
    There's a lot more to it than frame size. Stack and reach are key which I guess is why Peter was asking about stem length. Just because 2 people are the same height doesn't necessarily mean the same bike will suit them both. Leg length, torso length and flexibility will play an important role.

Have a look at the stack and reach articles over on ST.

AFAIK the 2104 P2 & P3 range have slightly different stack & reach numbers to the older models so Peter could have been asking for that reason also. I think both models are now a little taller (stack)

The stem looks to be a 100mm one. From what I remember during the fit brought the angle of stem up to make me shorter if that makes sence.
    Going by responses above I'm on the right size frame.
    Was thinking maybe the 2012 p3

would appear you need higher stack you could achieve that with higher stem angle or spacers under arm pads ( rember bigger frame of old felt or cervelo would make bike about 1.5 cm longer and not the very best idea especially with a cervelo as it can get a bit twitchy ( 85 mm stem with a felt b12 should be fine as they are v gentle horses but again this would all depend where your saddle is right now )

overall it would appear that felt b series and the old cervelo might not be the ideal fit for you ( the new cervelos a better fit)
    unless you are racing to win races I would not really change the bike ( or if you try to think money vs time gain) and focus on the tri bar stem set up. seems to be overall a case trying ( or better are forced) to get to quickly into a positon you cant hold yet but might very well hold in 6 month time. also could be that you dont like the esxtensions of your bar .

its often the wrong saddle and an ill fittng handle/tri bar which from what it seems is much more likely to be the case than the wrong frame in your case . what i would suggest use a towel and put it in various folded versions ( thin to ticker) on your tri pads and see what a difference in stack will do for you, as this was the direction your bike fitter was going ( of course do this on a turbo trainer ;-)

all this based on the little we know i guess its a bit like medical advise which is forbitten ..... but i stick to the towel advise as you can do nothing wrong but feel if higher feels more confortable.

ps if i was you I would give your fitter a call as he should be happy to help you out to make it more comfortable

would appear you need higher stack you could achieve that with higher stem angle or spacers under arm pads ( rember bigger frame of old felt or cervelo would make bike about 1.5 cm longer and not the very best idea especially with a cervelo as it can get a bit twitchy ( 85 mm stem with a felt b12 should be fine as they are v gentle horses but again this would all depend where your saddle is right now )

overall it would appear that felt b series and the old cervelo might not be the ideal fit for you ( the new cervelos a better fit)
    unless you are racing to win races I would not really change the bike ( or if you try to think money vs time gain) and focus on the tri bar stem set up. seems to be overall a case trying ( or better are forced) to get to quickly into a positon you cant hold yet but might very well hold in 6 month time. also could be that you dont like the esxtensions of your bar .

its often the wrong saddle and an ill fittng handle/tri bar which from what it seems is much more likely to be the case than the wrong frame in your case . what i would suggest use a towel and put it in various folded versions ( thin to ticker) on your tri pads and see what a difference in stack will do for you, as this was the direction your bike fitter was going ( of course do this on a turbo trainer ;-)

all this based on the little we know i guess its a bit like medical advise which is forbitten ..... but i stick to the towel advise as you can do nothing wrong but feel if higher feels more confortable.

ps if i was you I would give your fitter a call as he should be happy to help you out to make it more comfortable
    Thanks Peter much appreciated.
    Ideally id def prefer to stay with the frame I have as my concern really just relates to the IM bike leg which is not going to be often. Anything up to the HIM is sound really, maybe just not ideal. Enough expenses without adding bike/frame to list!.
    I did put in spacers last season on fitters advice for the longer races which did help.
    As you say there is only so much advice you can give going blind. Thanks again

Cheers thanks for the offer but I'm out west. Might be somebody in club who's bike I could try.

Seeing as I now know you're in Galway too, You're welcome to try my bike for size to see what you think

Seeing as I now know you're in Galway too, You're welcome to try my bike for size to see what you think

Cheers however have a Bike fitting organised to hope to see what bike/frame suits etc from that. Will see from there. Thanks all the same

Who is doing the fitting for you?

Velocity in Oranmore. Met with them during the week to discuss situation. They have new equipment which they are just getting set up at the moment.

A mate had a bike fit there this week (the lad I was swimming with in Loughrea). They made huge changes to his setup. He was very happy with it. Apparently it's the same system Team Sky use

A mate had a bike fit there this week (the lad I was swimming with in Loughrea). They made huge changes to his setup. He was very happy with it. Apparently it's the same system Team Sky use

Interesting cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Apparently it's the same system Team Sky use

You're not supposed to know that! ;)

Sky are contracted to Retul but allegedly bought one of these systems to enable better performance gains.

The system can be computer adjusted as you cycle with realtime updates on the display. Can't wait to get a play on it. Deliberately messing my bike fit up from last year so I've an excuse :D

Anybody any views/opinions/experiences on the Ceepo's?

http://www.ceepo.com/portfolio/2014-cp-venom/

hard to say i would think in theory fantastic bikes, similar to old cervelo philosphy narrow is fast. you try to find a windtunnel test ... i wish you good luck, but people like them.

anyway so you get rid of a b2 and want to replace it with a bike that is low stack like the felt ... when you wanted to go higher....
    you should draw a line right there in your case ( and i know the distributer who is a really nice guy and that would make me recommend those bikes -as it is always good to deal with a nice fellow if you have an issue- but it just dosnt seem to make sense for you)

could we get tunney to make the same comment as at the NS series topic how to get faster in 2015 ;-)

hard to say i would think in theory fantastic bikes, similar to old cervelo philosphy narrow is fast. you try to find a windtunnel test ... i wish you good luck, but people like them.

anyway so you get rid of a b2 and want to replace it with a bike that is low stack like the felt ... when you wanted to go higher....
    you should draw a line right there in your case ( and i know the distributer who is a really nice guy and that would make me recommend those bikes -as it is always good to deal with a nice fellow if you have an issue- but it just dosnt seem to make sense for you)

could we get tunney to make the same comment as at the NS series topic how to get faster in 2015 ;-)

Thanks Peter being honest they weren't even on my radar however at an initial fitting assessment he was recommending this to me. I was looking at the BMC TM02's
    He stocks the ceepos which may have been a factor..
    're going faster in 2015 have bigger gains to make in my swim too but boys and toys!!

i made my suggestion based on the fact you felt ;-0 that the b2 was too low for you.
    on top of my head the ceepo has a shorter top tube so you could get higher headtube by using a bigger frame. but then your could have maybe done all this with your old frame by buying a higher stack tri bar or even only stem.
    anyway too much speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Lets not forget the real reason sky dominate

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tiernan-locke-suspension-confirmed-by-uk-anti-doping

Its not the bike fits

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

Thinking of buy the P3. Anyone care to recommend me the best shops in Ireland for doing so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

Tri and run, Mullingar had one in stock a few weeks ago, gorgeous machine!

Planet Tri in Killaloe do them, good shop, lads are dead on

• Advertisement

A few have bought from here and have reported good things back

Advertisement