Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird Deposit Situation

Options
  • 07-07-2014 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hey guys,

Just coming here to see if anyone has any insight on what might be going on. Recently me and my housemate were informed that the Bank had taken ownership/possession of the house we were renting, as the landlord had not being paying them.

We decided to find a new place and we have moved out, the property management company who were managing the place came round and inspected the house. The mentioned a couple of things they might have taken a little money off the deposit(like the lawn needing a mow). But confirmed that we would get our deposit back in full.

However when the money was not sent to our accounts, we called them and they say that the landlord(who no longer owns the property) wants to inspect the house before we get our deposit back. As it stands the property management company hold the deposit so I'm not sure what is going on.

Given that the bank now own the property, I'm not sure what reason there is for the former landlord to inspect it or for the property management company to now decide to withhold the deposit until he does.

Can anyone shed any light on what might be going on or is this just fubar? Luckily we've already moved into a new place and don't 'need' the cash but its left us scratching our heads.

Any info or advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Sounds like the landlord is short of cash and is looking for any excuse to hold onto as much of your deposit as possible.

There are limits on what deposit money can be kept for, and I very seriously doubt an unmowed lawn is within these. Might be worth getting in touch with the PRTB (or at least looking through their website) for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Falalala wrote: »
    As it stands the property management company hold the deposit so I'm not sure what is going on.
    Was the landlords name or the property management companys name on the lease, and who did you pay the deposit to?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Falalala

Property management company for both

• Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Were the locks changed before you decided to move?
    Do you currently hold keys for these new locks?
    Does the original Landlord expect you to let him back into a property he no longer has keys for?

Or perhaps he really does need to inspect before management company returns deposit. He may own multiple properties which the management company also administer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Falalala

Locks were not changed, keys were returned to the property management company.

And the landlord is a ex landlord, he no longer owns the property the bank has repossessed the property as he wasn't paying the mortgage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 sunnyt

Hi op. In most cases (open to correction) you are responsible for the upkeep of the inside of the house and the landlord remains responsible for the outside of the house...garden, guttering etc. You should check your lease to see if the outside is included. Deducting money for cutting the grass is a bit of a push! It may be irrelevant as it sounds like your landlord is not going to give you your money back without a fight. Good luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Call the bank and let them know also? Might not help, but it cannot hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Falalala wrote: »
    Property management company for both
    Tell them that as you signed their lease, and they have the deposit, you'll take them to the PTRB as unless I'm mistaken, the landlord never had the deposit, so it's them who are not giving you the deposit?

As for the landlord, until the place is sold, he still "owns" it, and would need to perform the repairs, but the bank would take the rent. An odd situation I think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

the_syco wrote: »
    Tell them that as you signed their lease, and they have the deposit, you'll take them to the PTRB as unless I'm mistaken, the landlord never had the deposit, so it's them who are not giving you the deposit?
    Do the PRTB have remit when it comes to property management companies, or am I confusing them with agencies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Sounds like the landlord is short of cash and is looking for any excuse to hold onto as much of your deposit as possible.

There are limits on what deposit money can be kept for, and I very seriously doubt an unmowed lawn is within these. Might be worth getting in touch with the PRTB (or at least looking through their website) for advice.

+1 I can't see any reason for the LL to be involved.

Unless the lawn is in the agreed lease. Its the LL responsibility to maintain the garden.

• Advertisement
Advertisement