Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fun project: Cheapest possible build?

Options
  • 07-07-2014 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭

Bored out of my mind, I've began to wonder. Whats the cheapest possible build I could make. I'm thinking below €80 if possible?

Doesnt even require a case, I could just use a cardboard box or something. No disc drive or other unnessecary parts either.

I just want to learn a bit more about hardware and software so something to play around with I guess.

If it helps, I already have 1 stick of DDR 512mb RAM, doubt it will be compatible with anything though.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

You need a motherboard with onboard graphics thats ddr compatible.
    A cpu that fits in your motherboard.
    A power supply to power everything up.
    Thats it.

(optional, hdd, optical drive, usb stick to boot some OS)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Easier just to buy an old one - easy to get Core 2 Duo based machines for €50-60 euro these days. Cheaper and much less hassle than trying to source a load of parts seperately, unless someone can donate stuff to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭oak5548

Easier just to buy an old one - easy to get Core 2 Duo based machines for €50-60 euro these days. Cheaper and much less hassle than trying to source a load of parts seperately, unless someone can donate stuff to you.

Yeah looking to source an old pc, but proving harder than I expected.
    Still just pricing the cheapest possible builds for the craic in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

http://www.adverts.ie/5405374 €65
    http://www.adverts.ie/3894565 €85

Two relatively cheap on the first page when i searched core 2 on adverts.

The dell has one of the best core 2 chips in it as well

Advertisement