Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Scam be careful

Options
  • 07-07-2014 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭

Saw a car on Carzone over the weekend, and contacted the person by e-mail. as you cant ring them as you see below.

Sorry for late reply but I was out for a the weekend and my phone has broken.My name is Mike Barry and I am the owner of this 2011 BMW 3 Series 320d SE.

I can confirm that the car is clear and is not subject damages what so ever and I am the registered keeper and there is no outstanding finance on the vehicle.

Regarding the condition, there are no stone chips or anything on the front, no dents or knocks anywhere, I also think the good condition is reflected the car's low mileage for the age. Inside is perfect, very, very clean car.The reason of sale is that I've got a new job in Germany and the right hand drive cars are really hard to drive here and also the registration tax is much higher than I expected.The car is here as well.The final price is 6.500 € + shipping to your door. For an accurate shipping cost please include your shipping address in your next email.(shipping will be no more than 300€). As you probably noticed, the price is rather low. I was unable to register it here as the fees are too high, being an Irish model and not even a dealer will offer me a better price here. The fact that it's still Ireland registered did not help either.Due to amount involved and due the fact I am not located in Ireland anymore, I only accept transaction through eBay.

Please feel free to email any other questions, which I will do my best to answer.

Kind Regards,

Mike Barry

I contacted the person to say i think you have your price wrong it should read €16,500 & not €6,500. But if its correct i will take it & whats wrong with the car for the price. AS you see above its a scam. I just copy and pased his wall of text into google and it comes up all over the place. Might have been mentioned here before but i could not find it.

Must send a message to carzone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

2011 BMW for 6500...shouldn't even be entertained as legitimate let alone contacting the seller. I'll report it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Its a strange one in that its so obviously a scam, yet its not written at all like one (it reads like its written by a native English speaker, which is unusual for scams). The only that stood out for me is that the guy has an Irish/English name, but we dont write currency like 6500€ over here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

MarkR wrote: »

Common, but unfortunately someone is going to get stung badly with this.

Just sent carzone a message about it. Well if they keep doing it they must be geting people with the scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,150 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

2011 BMW for €6500, no thought needed as to whether it was scam or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

aside from the fact that it can be registered for free in germany and motor tax for a yoke like that (with 142 g/km Co2) would be €234 a year, so far from a horrendous figure, and far from a figure that you'd forgo ten grand of the sale price for.

and thats if you bother re-registering it in germany, which isnt really necessary as it seems - and isnt persued like in Ireland or Holland where theres a large motor and/or yearly tax bill to be collected.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

And there was me thinking that a 2011 3 Series diesel going for €6500 was genuine. People seem to throw all common sense out the window when it comes to finding that bargain, this is why these scams still appear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭tonto24

Emailed him there for the craic! Got the exact same automated reply... STAY WELL CLEAR!

Wonder how long will it take carzone to take the add down.
    Any add that does not look right should be followed up by the carzone staff, but the add above is on the site for 4 days and more now.

Advertisement