Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water meter - Granny Flat

Options
  • 07-07-2014 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi. We have a granny flat adjoining the main house, with a separate entrance, electricity etc. My question is because the water connection is shared with the main house, will we still be getting a meter or estimated bill?

Do they have any criteria for this situation?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Have you tried asking them direct?

http://www.water.ie/business/help-centre/contact-us/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

juicytasty wrote: »
    Hi. We have a granny flat adjoining the main house...

Do they have any criteria for this situation?

Your granny shouldn't be flat nor adjoining your house - best to feed her and hope she detaches from your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

I'm guessing it's a question of whether you can get it attached the the meter on the primary house or not, and whether you want to. If the water is currently coming from the primary house then I would guess the default will be for it to be included in the primary house's account. The other option would be for them to be metered separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I've moved this over to the Accommodation & Property forum as they may be better suited to answer you here.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 juicytasty

I contacted then directly, but they don't seem to know. The guy said we 'probably' wouldn't have any meter installed and would receive a flat rate/estimated bill, but he wasn't sure...surely they can't bill the primary residence for separate usage next door

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Is the granny flat rented out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

I assumed it was not rented out. If it's a separate residence then I don't see why it wouldn't have its own meter, unless they have technical difficulty putting one in due to the layout of the pipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,823 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

And is there planning for it? Is it registered as a separate property for tax purposes?

Zab wrote: »
    I assumed it was not rented out. If it's a separate residence then I don't see why it wouldn't have its own meter, unless they have technical difficulty putting one in due to the layout of the pipes.

I would prefer they have two separate meters, but from what I can gather in these situations they don't install any meter. If they do install one single meter for both residences, they hardly expect the main house to pay both bills

And is there planning for it? Is it registered as a separate property for tax purposes?

It is registered as part of the principal property and falls under the 'granny flat rule' because it is adjoining the property and not over 2km away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

from what i see in the estate that is done here, they are simply skipping any property which has a granny flat or second entrance. Ours for example (rented) was marked with DD/Dont Do and simply bypassed by the installers. The Water leaflets i seen say the property will be estimated (at a higher charge than if it had a meter).
    So i dont know costs but looks like they are not putting meters on shared connections for sure around here. I counted at least 10 properties similar in this area where a house was built in a garden etc which shared the connection.
    One of the guys said it would require a new separate connection then they would meter the both of them but this was not written anywhere.....

gibo_ie wrote: »
    from what i see in the estate that is done here, they are simply skipping any property which has a granny flat or second entrance. Ours for example (rented) was marked with DD/Dont Do and simply bypassed by the installers. The Water leaflets i seen say the property will be estimated (at a higher charge than if it had a meter).
    So i dont know costs but looks like they are not putting meters on shared connections for sure around here. I counted at least 10 properties similar in this area where a house was built in a garden etc which shared the connection.
    One of the guys said it would require a new separate connection then they would meter the both of them but this was not written anywhere.....

Just saw the guy leaving after marking it out for a meter. Was onto IrishWater and they said that under no circumstances should a shared water supply get a meter. Apparently they have notified the contractor who seems to be ignoring them....a shambles!

Advertisement