Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very Important,, Please help.. Do i have a legal right here?

Options
  • 07-07-2014 1:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hello,

I would like to know if I have any legal right to claim my family belongings from my home in which I don't live in anymore due to my father dying in 2013.

He was divorced and I am the oldest child (17), which makes me next of kin.

My father's brother moved into our home and the property (to my knowledge-I was told I'm too young to see the will by my father's family) is my uncle's until I am of a much older age.

But I want to take some belongings, such as my father's clothes, television, pottery, speakers, etc. but I strongly believe I will be told I'm not allowed by my fathers family.

Do I have a legal right to claim these belongings?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

amme321 wrote: »
    (to my knowledge-I was told I'm too young to see the will by my father's family)

That will needs to be somewhere safe

They may not want you to see it because :

the will may have this kinda thing in it
    a discretionary trust for your children until the youngest reaches age 18 (including a restriction on the sale of the home until then).

WHAT IS A DISCRETIONARY TRUST?

This provides your Trustees with full power to apply capital and income at their discretion for the benefit of your beneficiaries without having to achieve equality between them. A discretionary trust can be useful where beneficiaries are young, ...........

You need to see a real, live, living, lawyer - they may be pulling a fast one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 amme321

As far as I know the youngest has to be 27 :/
    which would be my brother, so I would be 30!

But the belongings, can I claim them legally? As I'm not claiming the property itself.

Legal action is my situation is guaranteed to happen at one point or another in my life against this family, because unfortunately, they don't like me because my mother isn't rich and snobby. LOL (:

As far as I know the youngest has to be 27 :/
    which would be my brother, so I would be 30!

What happened when the will was read ?
    Your guardian should have been there surely?

You are an adult at 18 - dunno where they are getting the 27 from

If the property is left to you alone, you need to get them ejected from it asap before they get too happy there

You really need to see a real, live, living, lawyer asap

I don't know, my father's brother and mother went and that's it!
    All I have belonging to him is a picture in a frame & I haven't even seen the ashes, or heard anything about them..

And as far as I know, my dad's family went into the house, took the television, his belongings, his bed, his pottery, iPad, iPhone, and I don't even know where my dog is!

I'm only starting to want to do something about it now because the last year I was very sensitive about the whole situation.. but now I'm more than ready to grab the lot of um by the balls and demand my stuff, but if I don't have the legal right, I can't do a thing..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

gctest50 wrote: »
    What happened when the will was read ?
    Your guardian should have been there surely?

You are an adult at 18 - dunno where they are getting the 27 from

If the property is left to you alone, you need to get them ejected from it asap before they get too happy there

You really need to see a real, live, living, lawyer asap

If I could triple bold this I would. See a lawyer!

• Advertisement

I'll head on down to a solicitor this week,

theyre already incredibly cosy in my house... have replaced my dog and all!
    I reckon they should pay 50euro a week in rent so i can go to college, because i can't afford it and cant apply for the grant

Never a dull moment!

Thanks for the advice :)

I don't know, my father's brother and mother went and that's it!

It just sounds a little odd there that "your side" wasn't there

..... but now I'm more than ready to grab the lot of um by the balls and demand my stuff, but if I don't have the legal right, I can't do a thing..

Its easy for me to say - but the main thing now is keep it cool and see if you have a right to it.

I'll head on down to a solicitor this week,

theyre already incredibly cosy in my house... have replaced my dog and all!
    I reckon they should pay 50euro a week in rent so i can go to college, because i can't afford it and cant apply for the grant

Never a dull moment!

Thanks for the advice :)

You need to get this sorted before you do anything - you really don't need all this hassle if you are in college

obplayer wrote: »
    If I could triple bold this I would. See a lawyer! <<<<<<==============

Advertisement