Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning Tiles

Options
  • 06-07-2014 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum.

Anyway, the tiles on the wall in our bathroom have become fairly dirty - grime etc.

Anything we can buy to give them a good clean?

We don't want to re-tile to be honest if we can get them looking fairly good again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Razorfish

I have a Karscher Steam Cleaner which keeps the tiles immaculate. Not sure if these can be rented?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Razorfish wrote: »
    I have a Karscher Steam Cleaner which keeps the tiles immaculate. Not sure if these can be rented?

We have a polti steam cleaner that does a good job. I find that a good scrub with a nail brush and a fair bit of elbow grease is quite effective. I suspect though that this might not be great for the grout if done too often

• Registered Users Posts: 4,641 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Bottle of "bathroom spray": it seems to contain some stuff that dissolves the soap and limey-water residue. You still have to scrub it off (I use the rough side of a scrubby-sponge) but they do come up pretty shiny with a rinse of water from the shower.
    I sometimes clean grout lines with a bit of Jif on an old toothbrush.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,348 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You could try re-grouting if necessary.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Woodies sell stuff specifically for this.
    Works wonders- and needs minimal scrubbing to remove it.
    Note- it is caustic- and may cause skin burns- you need to make sure you get rid of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,420 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Dettol mould and mildew cleaner,stinks a bit but very effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Aye Bosun

2 part bleach and 2 part bread soda, mix well, apply to grout between tiles with tooth brush, leave for half hour, rinse..hey presto clean grout :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

kneemos wrote: »
    Dettol mould and mildew cleaner,stinks a bit but very effective.

+1 on that, great stuff. Open the window, spray it and leave for a while.

I was out of that stuff and noticed a spot of mould on my tiles over the bath, I used various sprays on it but nothing got rid, even with a good scrub, so I threw a squeeze of toilet bleach (the shop own brand thick bleach) and much to my surprise it disappeared without any scrubbing, so that's worth a try too. Obviously ventilate the bathroom well and try not to inhale the fumes too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

I'll try some of the suggestions when I get time.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,348 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Aye Bosun wrote: »
    2 part bleach and 2 part bread soda, mix well, apply to grout between tiles with tooth brush, leave for half hour, rinse..hey presto clean grout :)

Be wary of poisoning yourself by mixing harsh chemicals like bleach with anything other than as instructed by the manufacturer. Only use bleach in well ventilated spaces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

This stuff is incredible at rewhitening grout and killing mould. But it stinks like a swimming pool and can't be good for the environment.

The bathroom in our house came with it's own mould problem and I use that one every 6 months to kill it back, and try keeping the bathroom as clean and dry as possible with plenty of fresh air and natural sunlight getting in as a preventative measure.

Advertisement