Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesel or stay with Petrol.

Options
  • 06-07-2014 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Looking for some help, I did a search but didn’t find an answer.

I do about 25000Km per year (15,000 city and 10,000 motorway) and have always had a petrol car. I will soon be changing and I am thinking of a Diesel car this time. To give you more help I have a Primera at the moment but I would be happy to drop down a class and would be towing a 2 berth caravan about 1500 Km per year so I would need a fair bit of power.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

You're probably just about in diesel territory there I'd say. Dunno if you'll be able to drop a class and still tow a caravan although daysul would be the preferred option for such activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

With that mileage and that % of city driving stick with petrol...

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kfog

If most of your driving is city then stick with petrol, diesel will not be any more economical in start/stop traffic. A petrol would also probably be more reliable for short journeys

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

If you're giving it a decent run regularly the diesel makes sense, especially for towing. If it's a not so regular run then maybe not.

What's the budget? There are a few city friendly-ish diesels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I drive an 05 Avensis diesel. Most of my driving would be urban Dublin roads. Average (measured by fill/empty/fill method) is around 37 mpg, and I wouldn't be taking it particularly easy. If you can get that from a 2.0 petrol around Dublin, you are doing very well indeed.

Of course on a long run it will do a genuine 55+mpg if you're not being silly.

• Advertisement

Looking for some help, I did a search but didn’t find an answer.

I do about 25000Km per year (15,000 city and 10,000 motorway) and have always had a petrol car. I will soon be changing and I am thinking of a Diesel car this time. To give you more help I have a Primera at the moment but I would be happy to drop down a class and would be towing a 2 berth caravan about 1500 Km per year so I would need a fair bit of power.

Thanks in advance.

You could go the hybrid route or convert your next car to log.

If you go the hybrid route the prius is the best one to get. I aberdare about 60 to 64 mpg per tank in a 07 MK II

Next on the list is electric. The Nissan leaf being the best for the price.

The e_golf will be here around q4 2014.

Then there is the BMW i3 EV which is supposed to be a lot of fun to drive and had some really cool gadgets like the ability to drive itself up to 40 mpg. Costs extra of course.

All these cars have about worst case 60 winter miles to about 80_90 summer miles range. Though with charging in between including fast charging you'll have up to 130 miles range.

Even if you'll never go electric they are seriously worth a test drive. They are amazing to drive.

If you can get a spin in the i3 them do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭micks_address

I thought there were issues towing with hybrids?
    You could go the hybrid route or convert your next car to log.

If you go the hybrid route the prius is the best one to get. I aberdare about 60 to 64 mpg per tank in a 07 MK II

Next on the list is electric. The Nissan leaf being the best for the price.

The e_golf will be here around q4 2014.

Then there is the BMW i3 EV which is supposed to be a lot of fun to drive and had some really cool gadgets like the ability to drive itself up to 40 mpg. Costs extra of course.

All these cars have about worst case 60 winter miles to about 80_90 summer miles range. Though with charging in between including fast charging you'll have up to 130 miles range.

Even if you'll never go electric they are seriously worth a test drive. They are amazing to drive.

If you can get a spin in the i3 them do.

• Site Banned Posts: 36 Starmixed

knipex wrote: »
    With that mileage and that % of city driving stick with petrol...

I drive 50,000 km a year on motorways mostly. Should I stick with diesel ( I currently drive diesel) or change to petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,174 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Starmixed wrote: »
    I drive 50,000 km a year on motorways mostly. Should I stick with diesel ( I currently drive diesel) or change to petrol.

No brainer, diesel all the way.

I thought there were issues towing with hybrids?

You're right. Missed the towing bit.

Must be tractor engine so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

You could go the hybrid route or convert your next car to log..

Stove in the boot? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭hunglikeaflee

If you're giving it a decent run regularly the diesel makes sense, especially for towing. If it's a not so regular run then maybe not.

What's the budget? There are a few city friendly-ish diesels.

About €10,000 but I could go more for the right car.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭hunglikeaflee

Thanks for the help folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Starmixed wrote: »

Diesel.... absolutely what modern diesels are built for..

Advertisement