Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best shaving technique and sequence for best results?

Options
  • 06-07-2014 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

This is how I shave.

I always use steaming hot water, a cheap disposable razor and gel.

1) The sideburns first with a downward motion.
    2) The cheeks with a diagonal motion toward the corner of the mouth.
    3) My left and right jaws by drawing the razor along the jawline toward the chin.
    4) Under the chin, the adam's apple and my neck with a downward fashion and NEVER upward.
    5) Shave the strip of hair under the lower lip by turning the lip in.
    6) The chin with downward strokes.
    7) When shaving my upper lip I shave the centre-line first and then the left and right side by turning the razor sideways and dragging the razor from the centre to the corner of the mouth.

So how do you shave?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Azwaldo55 wrote: »
    This is how I shave.

3) My left and right jaws by drawing the razor along the jawline toward the chin.
    4) Under the chin, the adam's apple and my neck with a downward fashion and NEVER upward.
    7) When shaving my upper lip I shave the centre-line first and then the left and right side by turning the razor sideways and dragging the razor from the centre to the corner of the mouth.

So how do you shave?

I'm the same. I think I tried shaving upwards when I started off but I soon realised that it wasn't a good idea.

I've always wondered why every shaving commercial has a man using an upward shaving stroke. That's probably what made me try it out when I was young and naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

I always use upwards stroke for under chin shaving too awkward downwards quiet sore. I would mostly use electric shaver to get as much off then fine comb it with the razor. It's very rare for me to use hot water to shave I mostly dry shave due to time constraints. Sore sometimes but when it's done daily not too bad. I keep a thing chin line beard so thst has to be maintained.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I'm the same. I think I tried shaving upwards when I started off but I soon realised that it wasn't a good idea.

I've always wondered why every shaving commercial has a man using an upward shaving stroke. That's probably what made me try it out when I was young and naive.
    If I shaved down down I would have a huge neck rash permanently. Going with the grain on my neck is an upward stroke. Maybe others are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I dunno if any of you ever tried this but I recently discovered that using her hair conditioner instead of soap or shaving foam makes shaving ahell of a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

facial hair and hats forum..... straight edge like a boss..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Azwaldo55 wrote: »
    This is how I shave.

So how do you shave?

Jeez Lad thats some confused shaving techniques
    on the face down all the way
    chin and under down as far as adams apple
    below adams apple upward motion

GET A GOOD RAZOR, CHEAP DISPOSABLES WILL DESTOY YE AND COST MORE IN THE END

Took delivery of a straight razor kit on monday, best shave i've ever had, knicks and all

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭shawki

Palmolive shave cream €1.89 in tesco.
    Haven't had any more razor burn since I started using it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

brinty wrote: »
    GET A GOOD RAZOR, CHEAP DISPOSABLES WILL DESTOY YE AND COST MORE IN THE END

Been using the disposables for about ten years. The expensive ones used to give me awful skin problems but never had an issue with the cheap ones. LIDL are best for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I find the key is a good shaving gel. L'Oreal and Gillette work great. If I buy cheaper stuff or try shaving oil, I get badly irritated skin.

Also only Gillette Mach 3 seems to work. I've stubble like a brillo pad though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Buy a safety razor. I got it on on Amazon with blades and 3 sticks of soap for less than €30. I have only used a stick and half in 6 months (arko cheap shaving soap). I can't remember the last time I cut myself and dont ingrown hairs or acne from the razor. It's extremely quick to shave and I never have any issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

There is a whole forum on shaving with about enough information as you're likely to ever need.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1103

Advertisement