Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport Renewal with Bench Warrant

Options
  • 06-07-2014 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

My Family and I have decided we would like to go on holiday, we have a problem though my 19 year old son was charged with Cannabis Possesion and he didnt attend court that day as he had a job interview the day of his trial, he has no previous convictions and doesn't get in trouble often, would this get in the way of him renewing and applying for a passport? Do the Gardai look up his name when he goes to the Garda Station to apply?
    Thanking you.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

My Family and I have decided we would like to go on holiday, we have a problem though my 19 year old son was charged with Cannabis Possesion and he didnt attend court that day as he had a job interview the day of his trial, he has no previous convictions and doesn't get in trouble often, would this get in the way of him renewing and applying for a passport? Do the Gardai look up his name when he goes to the Garda Station to apply?
    Thanking you.

Would you not consider telling him to go to the Gardai and execute the warrant on consent? I mean, regardless of whether you want to go on holidays or not, surely you should be teaching your son to face up to his responsibilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,996 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

he has no previous convictions and doesn't get in trouble often, .

Isn't he a good boy?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Thanking you.
    When I got my passport renewed, the Garda asked for any other ID, and then disappeared away for a couple of minutes. I don't know if he was simply getting his stamp, or looking me up on the system, but I would suspect it was the latter.

Is the warrant old? There may be a way out of it if so. On the other hand, if it is old and he presents himself at the Garda station voluntarily, it will be looked upon favorably by all concerned, and your son won't have to be constantly living in anticipation of arrest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

Did he get the job?

If he did this could work in his favour.

Just get him to go down to the station himself. There's no point in him hiding away.

Its better he finds out one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

I can't wait for weed to be legalised. The whole concept is wrong and this is just another example.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Diabhalta wrote: »
    The whole concept is wrong and this is just another example.

How? He broke the law (regardless if yo agree with it or not) which has consequences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Diabhalta wrote: »
    I can't wait for weed to be legalised. The whole concept is wrong and this is just another example.
    That argument could have been made by the OP's son. Unfortunately, he didn't bother to attend court.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Tomblyboo

if it's against the law he should be facing up to it. maybe he'll get banged up abroad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Thanking you.

It won't stop him getting a passport but he would be better to get the warrant sorted. If the prosecuting Garda heard he is applying for a passport he could be arrested and kept in custody

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭hsilgnede

Should've gone to court or at the very least, sent in a solicitor to explain the situation. I had to appear in court a few years ago for a driving offence but when I got the court date it was in the middle of a pre-booked holiday. My solicitor got the case adjourned without any problems and it was dealt with a few weeks later.

Dunno if it will affect the passport. I should think they might be slow to issue a new passport to someone who's got a warrant out for their arrest, albeit for something quite minor in the scheme of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 blade918cc

Hi, I hope someone can help me. back in 2011 I was charged with deception and appeared in court to face my charge. I agreed to repay the money back over a period of time. but as it happens I done something stupid again and I left the country. I am in mexico now but I have a life here now and I feel that I have changed my ways in which I see life. I want to get married to a wonderful woman (she knows nothing of this) and I need to apply to my embassy here to get my papers for freedom. can someone tell me if I apply for these papers will they check my record to see if I have any outstanding warrants? I know I should do the right thing and return to Ireland...god knows I have been thinking of this all the time but in all my life I have someone who cares for me and I know if I tell her that it will destroy her faith in me. please if someone truly knows can you post your reply please. thank you in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

blade918cc wrote: »
    please if someone truly knows can you post your reply please.

Sounds like a pretty weak relationship.

What exactly is your end game op? Never to return to Ireland and to establish a fake identity in Ireland? How will you renew your passport or obtain Mexican citizenship in the future?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Sounds like a pretty weak relationship.

What exactly is your end game op? Never to return to Ireland and to establish a fake identity in Ireland? How will you renew your passport or obtain Mexican citizenship in the future?

Is this just for your own curiosity or what?
    Why are you questioning his relationship?
    Hi, I hope someone can help me. back in 2011 I was charged with deception and appeared in court to face my charge. I agreed to repay the money back over a period of time. but as it happens I done something stupid again and I left the country. I am in mexico now but I have a life here now and I feel that I have changed my ways in which I see life. I want to get married to a wonderful woman (she knows nothing of this) and I need to apply to my embassy here to get my papers for freedom. can someone tell me if I apply for these papers will they check my record to see if I have any outstanding warrants? I know I should do the right thing and return to Ireland...god knows I have been thinking of this all the time but in all my life I have someone who cares for me and I know if I tell her that it will destroy her faith in me. please if someone truly knows can you post your reply please. thank you in advance

I don't know the answer but I doubt it. People with warrants are allowed to get married. It's likely all the declarations will be in relation to previous marriages (or lack thereof).

little cuchulainn I was looking for some help or advice not smart arse comments.... if you have nothing constructive to say why do you post??
    Like most people in this life we all do something stupid at times and in my case I done what I did to try and help a family member and I regret it now. but everyone in this life deserves a second chance and to move on..
    nm... thank you for you reply. I appreciate your comment. Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

All you're doing is declaring your freedom to marry. So you'll have to get the letter and the apostile stamp from the Embassy, I'm afraid.

But you can't base your life and your relationship on a lie. You need to find the courage to 'fess up to your fiancee. And you need to face the music in Ireland. What happens if you need to come over here in a hurry? You can't keep running and dodging. Get a solicitor and find out where you stand. That would be the smart and responsible thing to do.

ABajaninCork....Thank you for your reply and yes you are right I cant keep running for ever. but at this moment I have found true happiness and I know that if I confess to my fiancée I will lose everything. maybe this is one lie that I must keep and maybe its worth the risk. all my life was trouble and turmoil, now my whole life has changed because of this woman.
    Thank you again for your sincerity in your reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

little cuchulainn I was looking for some help or advice not smart arse comments.... if you have nothing constructive to say why do you post??
    Like most people in this life we all do something stupid at times and in my case I done what I did to try and help a family member and I regret it now. but everyone in this life deserves a second chance and to move on..

I have tried to help you. I've asked you to consider your endgame. Yeah you might be successful in getting your papers this time but you are only putting the whole thing off until the next time you have to go to the embassy for something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭RecordStraight

I hope the people you robbed can move on as easily. It seems like you already had your second chance before you skipped the country.
    blade918cc wrote:
    back in 2011 I was charged with deception and appeared in court to face my charge. I agreed to repay the money back over a period of time. but as it happens :rolleyes: I done something stupid again and I left the country
    'As it happens' lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭djburchgrove

I know a guy with a boat who can get you into the docks in Liverpool. From there you'll board a 4 day Ferry to Morocco, where you will be met by Jafar. He will have your son's and your family's new passports with your new identities. The feds will never find your son.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

ABajaninCork....Thank you for your reply and yes you are right I cant keep running for ever. but at this moment I have found true happiness and I know that if I confess to my fiancée I will lose everything. maybe this is one lie that I must keep and maybe its worth the risk. all my life was trouble and turmoil, now my whole life has changed because of this woman.
    Thank you again for your sincerity in your reply.

Are you in Mexico legally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

There'll be no problem getting the documentation. But what is far more worrying is the fact blade918cc is prepared to lie to his fiancee. If I were her, and found out my intended not only had a criminal past, and LIED about it, I wouldn't be long in giving him the sack. I would take the view that if he can lie to me about that, then what else would he lie about?

However - if he came clean and was serious about sorting out his legal issues here, I would actually be quite impressed that although he did wrong, he was doing the right thing in righting that wrong. We all make mistakes. It's how you handle that mistake that counts. If she leaves after he 'fesses up - then she obviously wasn't a keeper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

There'll be no problem getting the documentation. But what is far more worrying is the fact blade918cc is prepared to lie to his fiancee. If I were her, and found out my intended not only had a criminal past, and LIED about it, I wouldn't be long in giving him the sack. I would take the view that if he can lie to me about that, then what else would he lie about?

However - if he came clean and was serious about sorting out his legal issues here, I would actually be quite impressed that although he did wrong, he was doing the right thing in righting that wrong. We all make mistakes. It's how you handle that mistake that counts. If she leaves after he 'fesses up - then she obviously wasn't a keeper.

As well as legal, can we ban relationship advice from this forum too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

Embassies are not the territory of their sending states and the law of the sending state does not apply there, the law of the state in which the embassy is located does. The Vienna Conventions simply present a procedural bar to the enforcement of some law for some purposes within embassies and against members of the embassy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

Advertisement