Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lumia 820 Weaknesses

Options
  • 06-07-2014 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

I find it hard to believe that you had two broken digitizers that broke all by themselves.
    Fair enough with the buttons they can fall off or dont work at times this is a known issue,also wear and tear is a factor.
    Windows is an OS not a phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

ziggy wrote: »

Incorrect the 820 is a Nokia Device Windows OS is owned by Microsoft.Now MS own the handset business.

Me thinks you are clumsy with phones :D:D

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Timfy

These are usually pretty bulletproof... Im wondering if when the lcd was replaced if something within the chassis was slightly misaligned, leading to stress on the digitiser?

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

How is it bizarre what i find bizarre that two digitizers broke all by themselves.And i am taking you serious.

Have you sent the device in to nokia to be inspected,did you get a manufacturers report as to what the cause was?

If not why not because if this happened to me i would want answers, now am i been serious enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

To be honest I find it hard to believe. From a personal point of view I've only had to go to the Nokia centre once (an actual manufacturer repair shop who would have thought it). The day after buying the phone (925) to check if something I noticed with the case was an issue. They said it was, gave me a letter for my provider to get the phone replaced, not repaired replaced. Done and dusted in a couple of minutes. Since then its been rock solid taken plenty of spills and drops. Prior to the 925 I had a 800, never a single issue with it.

On a work basis the company phones are all Nokia devices (mix of 800's, 920's, 925's) no one in the office has had an issue in the past few years. Now in that time I've seen some Samsung devices belonging to colleagues randomly smash the screen. IPhones take relatively small falls and go to pieces.

I've been very happy with the quality of my Nokia devices.... to be honest I'll be sticking with the Lumia range and Windows Phone as an OS.

If I have a gripe... its windows phone and the right audio channel on wired earphones dying and needing a reboot to resolve. I had it rarely on the 800, a bit more often on the 925, and the dev preview of 8.1 on the 925 has been causing to often. Jimmy you know any magic fixes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

I believe you OP. The 820 is an incredibly easy to break phone. I've heard numerous reports of the screen shattering from any kind of impact and even witness one completely shatter (both screen and digitizer) from a 2 foot drop, that wouldn't scratch your average smartphone.

It's unfortunate really, as it has a very nice vibrant screen, despite the low resolution, and is very nippy in operation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I know of someone who dropped a 820 and broke the screen. Then again I can say the same for different models and makes.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Simi wrote: »
    I believe you OP. The 820 is an incredibly easy to break phone. I've heard numerous reports of the screen shattering from any kind of impact and even witness one completely shatter (both screen and digitizer) from a 2 foot drop, that wouldn't scratch your average smartphone.

Don't really think you can say that with any certainty, unless you regularly witness phones falling from 2 foot heights?

Glass screens+fall from any height=potential breakage would be more my opinion of every smartphone on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭long_b

I found it sturdy enough.
    Points a bit moot though unless you're going second hand?

Now, the 830....

kayos wrote: »
    To be honest I find it hard to believe. From a personal point of view I've only had to go to the Nokia centre once (an actual manufacturer repair shop who would have thought it). The day after buying the phone (925) to check if something I noticed with the case was an issue. They said it was, gave me a letter for my provider to get the phone replaced, not repaired replaced. Done and dusted in a couple of minutes. Since then its been rock solid taken plenty of spills and drops. Prior to the 925 I had a 800, never a single issue with it.

On a work basis the company phones are all Nokia devices (mix of 800's, 920's, 925's) no one in the office has had an issue in the past few years. Now in that time I've seen some Samsung devices belonging to colleagues randomly smash the screen. IPhones take relatively small falls and go to pieces.

I've been very happy with the quality of my Nokia devices.... to be honest I'll be sticking with the Lumia range and Windows Phone as an OS.

If I have a gripe... its windows phone and the right audio channel on wired earphones dying and needing a reboot to resolve. I had it rarely on the 800, a bit more often on the 925, and the dev preview of 8.1 on the 925 has been causing to often. Jimmy you know any magic fixes :)

This is a know issue along with the mic not working,nothing you can do im afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Kevin Moran

OP, may I ask where it was repaired? Was it in a Nokia Care Point? We've seen a few (I work in a Nokia Care Point) where the 820's have had 3rd party screens installed and the digitizer itself is too rigid and then it's glued like crazy which leads any vibration shock i.e. from a fall, to resonate through the screen and crack it, as opposed to out through the frame and disperse relatively safely. Personally my 820 is my trucker phone, had it nearly two years now and gets whipped out when there's gonna be adverse conditions *cough cough* and apart from a cracked battery cover, its held up pretty well tbh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 cathyledger

I have never had problems with my smart phones and never get them damaged as im very careful but since i have moved to a lumia it seems to break alot expecially the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Kevin Moran

Disappointing to hear. I'm sorry your Nokia Lumia experience has been that way. If you are ever in Galway, pop into the Nokia Care Point and ask for me, I'll see can I help a fellow boardsie out :)

Advertisement