Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customer ignorance..

Options
  • 06-07-2014 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I Run a small business from home selling baby goods, prams, Cots strollers etc.
    3 weeks Ago a customer contacted me to say the frame off her pram had snapped right in half while getting down of the pavement.
    I called out to her flat immediately to inspect. On first look i was sceptical that this happened while casually getting down off the path!.. Anyways i gave her the benefit of the doubt and gave her a courtesy frame (same as her own), while I sent hers off to be inspected by the manufacturer..

3 days later the manufacturer confirmed that this was impossible to have happened as claimed by the customer. In fact it was two steel bars that were snapped right off, (no bending implying wear an tear). So it was an brute impact, too much weight applied to quickly or been forced (into a car boot etc.).

As it's not covered under warranty I gave her two options;
    1 - Buy Display frame for €50
    2 - Buy brand new frame for €80..

She basically told me to stick it! And told me to collect the courtesy frame "whenever".

Since then I've mailed and called numerous times with no reply.. Any suggestions on what I can do?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Call and collect your frame. If you can get in, that is. Sounds like she is going to try and hang onto it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 LyndsayR

Yes that's the only resolution I can come up with too but I really would love to avoid that as I'd feel extremely intimidated, especially the area she lives in, I don't want to expose myself to a heated confrontation.. And that's the type she seems!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Ideally you should get it back from her and leave her a copy of the manufacturer report.
    You could bring someone with you to assist in its collection but you should do the talking.

Reality though is that you may loose the frame you gave her. I can only assume that €50 isnt the price to you not that that lessens your loss. Small businesses cant afford to be at a loss on any transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OP, as you are posting as a business, I have moved your thread to the Entrepreneurial & Business Management forum

dudara

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭dbran

Hi

I know it is a pain but for €50 it is probably not worth the trouble or potential bad publicity of calling out to collect said product.

I suggest putting it down to experience.

Just my 2c though.

dbran

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Dubwat

As a consumer, we're always told it's Repair, Replace, Refund. I may have misunderstood you but if you jumped straight to 'replace' before 'repair', then I think you'll have to accept it as a loss?

For the next time, maybe change your T&C's to emphasize the 3 R's procedure & put everything in writing? Maybe even have a little form that the customer signs that acknowledges your procedures?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Walk away

It's a waste of your time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

learn from this and charge a €50 deposit for your replacement frame next time. As for this customer, forget it and chalk it up to experience.

Advertisement