Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chef (2014)

Options
  • 06-07-2014 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Anybody else enjoy this one? Nice to see Favreau back making smaller pictures.

my thoughts:

Despite the film’s shortcomings, Chef is still undeniably both fun and entertaining; there is enough charm and fluffy nonsense here to make for a watchable romp. Although the drama on offer is flatter than a pancake, Chef is an enjoyable alternative to the typical summertime fare served up to movie-goers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

str8edge wrote: »
    Anybody else enjoy this one? Nice to see Favreau back making smaller pictures.

my consensus:

Despite the film’s shortcomings, Chef is still undeniably both fun and entertaining; there is enough charm and fluffy nonsense here to make for a watchable romp. Although the drama on offer is flatter than a pancake, Chef is an enjoyable alternative to the typical summertime fare served up to movie-goers.

saw this a week ago have to say it was a nice surprise, especially any of the scenes involving the son and Favreau were very good and the scenes involving cook were awesome. I thought some of the cameo's were a little over kill , Hoffman and Johansson ones didn't sit right. Downey Jr was very good and Oliver Platt did brilliantly as the food critic anytime he was on screen. But John Leguizamo as Favreau's friend stole the film and the second to third parts of the film were at it's strongest when they were on the road.

I thought the ending was Abrupt and a little cheesy
    He remarries Sofia Vergara
    and Favreau scoring with Johansson and Vergara Character's is a bit of a ego stroke for the director :pac:. But the film has it's heart in the right place, the soundtrack excellent and the last two halfs of the film are great. Good to see fare like this in the cinema as the blockbusters do be on overkill at this time of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,156 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I really enjoyed it. Extremely likeable movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Very likeable, but very disjointed, and laden down with cheese in the final act.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 str8edge

Looper007 wrote: »
    saw this a week ago have to say it was a nice surprise, especially any of the scenes involving the son and Favreau were very good and the scenes involving cook were awesome. I thought some of the cameo's were a little over kill , Hoffman and Johansson ones didn't sit right. Downey Jr was very good and Oliver Platt did brilliantly as the food critic anytime he was on screen. But John Leguizamo as Favreau's friend stole the film and the second to third parts of the film were at it's strongest when they were on the road.

I thought the ending was Abrupt and a little cheesy
    He remarries Sofia Vergara
    and Favreau scoring with Johansson and Vergara Character's is a bit of a ego stroke for the director :pac:. But the film has it's heart in the right place, the soundtrack excellent and the last two halfs of the film are great. Good to see fare like this in the cinema as the blockbusters do be on overkill at this time of the year.

Think you're spot on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I didn't like it, felt too syrupy for me. Is it just me though or
    I might just be grasping at straws, but is the very brief sound clip we hear when him and his son are at the movies iron man? Iron man, lot of iron man 2 cast in it..... no ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

I wasnt entirely sure what to make of this, it was very entertaining, quite funny in parts, nice story but..........................thats was it really to me and then it just ended, the way you knew/assumed it was going to end :p

Still very good though, and a little bit inspiring, and makes you very very hungry too :p:o:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭mdolly123

What a waste of a cast. Dustin Hoffman underused and then Scarlett Johansson and Favreau, what an ego.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

88% on Rotten Tomatoes and a cast I like the look of. Think I'll give this a whirl

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    88% on Rotten Tomatoes and a cast I like the look of. Think I'll give this a whirl

I really enjoyed it, very much a feel good movie. Not much to it in terms of plot but its genuine and has a big heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Really good advertisement for Twitter, I assume they foot the bill for it :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Loved how they integrated Twitter and the relationship between the chef and his kid. When it was finished I thought "that was enjoyable".

But today I cant remember how it ended. So that cant be good. A decent, easy to watch but forgettable film.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

safetyboy wrote: »
    Really good advertisement for Twitter, I assume they foot the bill for it :)

Twitter & the latest iPhone I'd say.

Film was sweet but unremarkable, could have cut about 15 minutes out of the middle section with no loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I saw this yesterday and loved it. It was funny and warm-hearted, with great performances all round. And you will be hungry at the end! Yes, the last scene was a bit soppy, but who's looking for gritty realism in a movie like this? Definitely one of my favourites from this year so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Hold on... hold on....

A film about amazing food, with Sofia Vergara and Scarlett Johansson...... I´ll be right ba.......

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Hold on... hold on....

A film about amazing food, with Sofia Vergara and Scarlett Johansson...... I´ll be right ba.......

You had to believe that fat bastard Faverau had been married to Vergara & was banging Johanson, must be great to be a director.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,665 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Really could not get into this, the characters were all pretty unbelieveable and it just made no sense to me to have actors like Scralett Johansen, Robert Downey Junior and Dustin Hoffman get top billing but each literally was only on screen for 5 minutes, kinda false advertising there imo. The story was also paced very poorly and was incredibly predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,266 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Jon and Sofia work well together, quite enjoyable

Advertisement