Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone can answer this question regarding VAT?

Options
  • 06-07-2014 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi,

I would be very happy if someone knew answer to my question below.

I am registered Sole trader in ROI, registered for VAT. Run a website where i sell products for other companies. I act as an agent for the companies. When i sell their product, i keep commission of the sale and the rest goes to company.

Example is : i sell 10 products for 10EUR each. I receive 100 EUR. I keep 30 EUR as commission. I pay 70EUR to company.

As VAT registered, am i responsible only for my 30 EUR ( and have to pay tax on this). The 70 EUR is company's responsibility? because this 70 EUR is their money but i receive them via my website.

I am very confused on how to do this correctly.

Any help appreciated.

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It looks like you're basically reselling products, are you handling the customer's transaction?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 infoinfoinfo

Hi, yes i take payments on my website. Then transfer part to company who delivers products.

Thanks for any advise

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Hi, yes i take payments on my website. Then transfer part to company who delivers products.

Thanks for any advise
    If you were acting as an auctioneer it looks like you would only be liable for your portion of the sale: http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/leaflets/auctioneering.html
    But it doesn't sound as if that's the case.

It looks like it's addressed here. http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/guide/supply-of-services.html#section12
    Can't really pick out your situation, if you're an intermediary or not. In either case you only have to register for VAT if the amount you're liable for exceeds the threshold. Think it's about €70,000.

That said it would be no harm to get professional advice.

Yes, thanks for that.

I think in general my situation can be best compared to what for example Groupon does. They sell stuff for someone else and then keep commission.

So i was wondering how they do taxes for these deals they offer. I think it is almost the same principal.

And the company who receives amount from them, do they get VAT invoice?

I was researching on how they do it, but could not find much.

Thanks for any advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Alan Shore

If you are acting as an agent the the treatment depends in whether it's clear to customer that you are the principals agent or not.

Have a read of http://www.pearse-trust.ie/blog/bid/73229/VAT-Agents-Disclosed-And-Undisclosed

• Advertisement

Many thanks!

But as per below, i should be responsible for VAT on that 70 EUR that goes to company (principal)? That is a bit strange.

"The agent must treat the sales of its Principal's goods or services as if it had bought them from the Principal and sold them to the customers (with the purchase price being the sales price less the agent’s fees / commission). The agent must account for VAT on these sales in accordance with the place of supply rules."

That would mean that i am responsible for 100 % on 70 and the 30 as well. But the company is selling via me(agent) so they need to be responsible for what they receive for the sales, and that would be the 70 EUR, or no?

I think i would fall more under Disclosed Agent where principal is responsible for their part and i am for my service charge (commission).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

You will be responsible for the vat on the full sale price not just your commission.

This is general advice. Contact your accountant for personalised advice. If you dont have one get one.

Read the guide to vat in the stickies

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Alan Shore

Are you in business in your own account and you sell products to the end customer through you own website joeblogs.com? I go on there and buy a widget and I really don't care that you don't have it in stock or if fact that you never have it in your own warehouse, I pay you the €100! So you have to account for the sale of €100.

You will then get the principal to fulfill your delivery directly and they will invoice you for the €70 Inc VAT. As you are registered you can recover the VAT. So your profit is the difference between the €100 and €70 less the VAT.

So you are saying, my profit is 30 less the VAT from 100 ( which is 20), so my profit is 10?

I don't really think that for example Groupon is having it this way. That is very strange and i am still not sure. As i have read VAT info for business that acts as Disclosed agent selling goods or service on behalf of principle, principle is then responsible for the part of the sale they receive and agent for taxes on commission. Can it not be this way?

• Advertisement

or i pay VAT on the 70 they invoice me? so 30 less 14?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Look at the invoices you receive

Most likely if you are invoiced for 70 that will include vat at 23% which you can use as an input credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Vat and profit are not related

If vat is eating two thirds of your costs register for vat and you can reclaim any vat you are charged

You can register with any turnover level

Read the guide to vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Came across this one before.

Normally, you collect VAT from your customer on the entire amount of the purchase.

But there is an exception, where your suppliers are not VAT registered or are VAT-exempt (there is a technical difference). Have a look at the margin scheme. It mainly applies to second hand goods, but as I understand it, it is not only second-hand goods.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/leaflets/margin-scheme-second-hand-goods.html

Obviously this only applies where the person supplying you is not VAT registered. If they are VAT registered, you should pay the VAT and then count it as input VAT.

You really should get some accounting advice to make sure you are accounting for this correctly.

Advertisement