Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moto G - No earpiece volume

Options
  • 06-07-2014 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭

I suddenly have no earpiece volume at all during calls. The speaker system works fine but when I switch off speaker...nothing.

The odd thing is the proximity sensor isn't working too. Screen stays illuminated when ear goes to phone. Is it connected? Software issue? Any thoughts? Cheers.

Update: sensor issue definitely connected to audio problem. Sound works very intermittently. When sound does work sensor kicks back into action then promptly goes when sound does.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    I suddenly have no earpiece volume at all during calls. The speaker system works fine but when I switch off speaker...nothing.

The odd thing is the proximity sensor isn't working too. Screen stays illuminated when ear goes to phone. Is it connected? Software issue? Any thoughts? Cheers.

Update: sensor issue definitely connected to audio problem. Sound works very intermittently. When sound does work sensor kicks back into action then promptly goes when sound does.

Have you tried a factory reset?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

projectgtr wrote: »
    Have you tried a factory reset?

Yep. Same issue remains

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

sounds like a hardware issue. Is it still in warranty?

Yeah, an upgrade I got in January.

your username is just brilliant for this thread.

• Advertisement

RossieMan wrote: »
    your username is just brilliant for this thread.

Unfortunately so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

had 2 moto gs, both bought from amazon.
    first one kept dropping the sim card out of it. the other one had that issue. sent it back. was so annoying. sorry at least its under warranty

To add to the oddness of this, when watching videos through youtube, or videos I've recorded myself, there is no sound coming through the speaker...the same speaker that does work during a voice call.

Also, sometimes the audio does work when watching videos if I listen through earphones. All my ring tones and message alert tones work as normal. I'm clueless at this stage. :confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    To add to the oddness of this, when watching videos through youtube, or videos I've recorded myself, there is no sound coming through the speaker...the same speaker that does work during a voice call.

Also, sometimes the audio does work when watching videos if I listen through earphones. All my ring tones and message alert tones work as normal. I'm clueless at this stage. :confused::confused::confused:
    Is the media volume set? There are 3 different volumes - Phone, media, and notifications. Also make sure there's no dust in the headphone jack causing any interference.

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Is the media volume set? There are 3 different volumes - Phone, media, and notifications. Also make sure there's no dust in the headphone jack causing any interference.

Checked everything. All is as it should be there.

When I pull the earphone jack out, the sound on youtube will play for a few seconds through the speaker, then it goes again. Just to add another layer to proceedings. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I do wonder if it's a bad jack - some models had issues.

So for anyone still interested, the problem still remained until earlier today when I decided to listen to a pod cast through my ear phones on my phone. 45 minutes later I finished podcast, unplugged my earphones and the phone was back to normal, working as it should be. That was the longest my earphones were on since the problem started, so anyone care to solve that one...? :confused::confused::confused:

Cydoniac wrote: »
    I do wonder if it's a bad jack - some models had issues.

I'd say you hit the nail on the head.

Sounds like this is the problem. Will probably come back again.

Advertisement